Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Does the argument against a shorter, lighter trigger really hold up?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A trooper I know made 6 out of 8 shots on a rifle armed suspect at 50 yards. He was using a Glock 22 standard trigger. He won the suspect lost. There is no such thing as an average gunfight.

Also some of us use personal weapons.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And then there's the Air Force MP who took a 75 yard shot with a Beretta M9 and plugged a would-be mass shooter and killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Again, do you have something to back that up? because that's not what I've read in the past. IIRC from my past readings, hit factors increased appreciably when trigger pulls remained constant (no DA/SA transition) and dropped below 6#. If you have something that says otherwise, I think we'd all like to read it!
    I seem to recall that the average number of rounds fired by police in firefights when revolvers - double-action revolvers - were issued was 1 or 2. Since then, it is supposed to have gone up to 8 or something.

In 2005, per the New York Times, NYPD had a 17.4% hit rate. A few years ago, rather infamously, NYPD was involved in a shooting with an armed suspect in which nobody was killed - but several bystanders were wounded.

NYPD requires pistols with 10+ lb. trigger pulls.

LAPD allows both standard Glocks and DA/SA autos and has something closer to a 40-50% hit-rate.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 11-15-17 at 14:55.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Jesus Christ.

Neck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Cops shooting 10+ lb. Glocks seem to hit bystanders more often than perps while cops shooting double-action autos (and double-action revolvers) seem to do quite well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And then there's the Air Force MP who took a 75 yard shot with a Beretta M9 and plugged a would-be mass shooter and killed him.

I seem to recall that the average number of rounds fired by police in firefights when revolvers - double-action revolvers - were issued was 1 or 2.

In 2005, per the New York Times, NYPD had a 17.4% hit rate. A few years ago, rather infamously, NYPD was involved in a shooting with an armed suspect in which nobody was killed - but several bystanders were wounded.
    There was the 125 or something like that shot taken by a cop down in Texas I believe a few years ago with an M&P, one handed, while holding the reigns of a horse with the other. Drilled the assalinate with a single shot. It can be done.

That said, with the NYPD. I would argue it probably has less to do with trigger pull and to do with training. The one shooting wear several bystanders were hit, if the one I am thinking the video showed two cops running around a corner seeing the threat and one spinning in place while his partner damn near shoved his gun in his ear. Training.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Jesus Christ.

Neck yourself.
    After you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    There was the 125 or something like that shot taken by a cop down in Texas I believe a few years ago with an M&P, one handed, while holding the reigns of a horse with the other. Drilled the assalinate with a single shot. It can be done.

That said, with the NYPD. I would argue it probably has less to do with trigger pull and to do with training. The one shooting wear several bystanders were hit, if the one I am thinking the video showed two cops running around a corner seeing the threat and one spinning in place while his partner damn near shoved his gun in his ear. Training.
    Yes.

Gen5 Glocks seem to have heavier trigger pulls than Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks, but that hasn't stopped anybody from shooting them as well as, in not better than the older model of Glock.

Again, trigger pull weight does not appear to have an appreciable affect on accuracy until you're over 10+ lbs.

A shooter with little or no training will be unlikely to shoot a handgun with a 3-4.5 lb. trigger as well as a trained shooter with a 10 lb. trigger. (Give an average Joe a Wilson 1911 and put them up against somebody who is well-trained with a Glock with an NY1 or NY2 trigger and the person with the heavy trigger will probably outshoot the person wth the light trigger.)
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 11-15-17 at 15:07.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There is such a heavy question of training in this argument that I don't see how anybody is even bothering with it. Throwing around one hit wonders from various police shootings is like talking about that one time at band camp - it really doesn't mean shit.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There is such a heavy question of training in this argument that I don't see how anybody is even bothering with it. Throwing around one hit wonders from various police shootings is like talking about that one time at band camp - it really doesn't mean shit.
    I tend to agree. Reading this thread has pretty much convinced me that every gun should have a "fair-to-middlin'" trigger and the rest is training and practice, practice, practice....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Cops shooting 10+ lb. Glocks seem to hit bystanders more often than perps while cops shooting double-action autos (and double-action revolvers) seem to do quite well.
    Regardless whether true or not, 10 lbs Glock (or 1911 trigger) is a completely different animal than 10 lbs DA trigger. I wouldn't shoot the former even if someone paid me, and I wouldn't have a problem with the latter.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking about a Ghost Rocket connector, a heavier striker spring and a different plunger safety spring after watching a guy on a YouTube video who puts these 3 things in all his Glocks for about a 3.5lb pull. He had a lonewolf 3.5 disconnect or only. He was very accurate with his Glock. I was looking to just buy a Zev Tech Fulcrum for my Glock22 but am thinking differently now.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 11-25-17 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I'm thinking about a Ghost Rocket connector, a heavier striker spring and a different plunger safety spring after watching a guy on a YouTube video who puts these 3 things in all his Glocks for about a 3.5lb pull. He had a lonewolf 3.5 disconnect or only. He was very accurate with his Glock. I was looking to just buy a Zev Tech Fulcrum for my Glock22 but am thinking differently now.
    I wouldn’t try to replicate bullshit seen in YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I know but getting advice on these mods on Glicks is all over the map. Nobody seems to have identical upgrades with the Glock trigger.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast