Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saint pistol. Why so short a barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Their logic escaped me on this one. 11.5 all day. What would have really been cool is a 12.5. 7.5 even too short for a silencer.
    “Do you know what happens when you slice a golf ball in half? Someone gets mad at you. I found this out the hard way.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
    Their logic escaped me on this one. 11.5 all day. What would have really been cool is a 12.5. 7.5 even too short for a silencer.
    Nah.

Suppressors exist for the super shorties but choices are narrowed down. The Sandman's come to mind. But, I do believe suppressing 5.56 in the 7.5" range to be kind of a waste.

The whole point, in my mind, of a 7.5" is for the compactness. The compactness is lost when a suppressor, or even a long muzzle device, is installed. A suppressor or a long muzzle device may take the bite out of the muzzle blast but so will a longer barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Depends on what your State laws say. Under Federal law, an over 26" "megapistol" is in the same class (unrestricted, non-NFA) as a Remington 870 TAC-14 or a Mossberg 590 Shockwave, but you can also put a vertical foregrip on it where a pistol getting one below that length would become an NFA AOW.

For example, here in Washington, a "pistol" is defined as "16" or less barrel, no stock, designed to be fired with one hand"--so depending on the flash-hider length I could take the upper of a 14.5" milspec M4 (which on a rifle lower would be a Title II SBR), slap a pistol lower under it and if I can conceal it (not bloody likely with my build admittedly), I can legally carry it loaded, while Michigan says anything over 26" is not covered by a CPL and has to be unloaded while in a vehicle. It's not just what you can own, but what you can legally carry with ammo loaded up and ready to go, and every state's different... I don't know what Tennessee says about carrying AR-pistols.
    Our carry permits cover them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think the use of a K can on a 7.5" 5.56 is a waste. You still have a very compact platform and a K can will take more bite out of the muzzle blast than simply running an 11.5" barrel. The Sandman K doesn't have a minimum barrel length, but I would still run their muzzle brake as a sacrificial baffle if you did run one. I wouldn't plan on shooting a super short barreled 5.56 without a suppressor if you had one available. The 7.5" barreled 5.56 are simply not fun to be around because of the concussion in my opinion. Personally below a 10.5" I would probably lean towards a 300blk over the 5.56.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12