Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ar buffer recommendations?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montesf1030 View Post
    Try New Frontier Armory heavy buffers ... I am using the 8oz heavy buffer .... My AR 9 shots like a champ !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are we trying to achieve a sweet spot where the bolt doesn't smack into the buffer tube e n d?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
    Very cool thanks for the recommendation with a blowback 9mm. Do the weights help the bolt slow down?
    The moveable weights don't change the bolt velocity any differently than fixed weights.

They do soften the impacts at the ends of travel and help prevent bolt bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
    Are we trying to achieve a sweet spot where the bolt doesn't smack into the buffer tube e n d?
    Definitely not. That's a recipe for malfunctions.
    The buffer should always make contact with the end of the buffer tube.
    The primary purpose of tuning the bolt weight in a blowback system is to delay bolt movement enough for reliable function.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use a 9Q-T and an XP buffer spring in my Quarter Circle 10 9mm that is suppressed with a Deadair Ghost 45m. Gun runs fine with the same setup and no suppressor as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys I actually have a quarter Circle 10 side charging upper

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I run New Frontier 8oz in both my 10.5” Colt upper Pistol build and a stock Colt R6450 and they both just run.
    HH

Feedback Score
    I have use a Spike dedicated 9mm buffer, its 8oz. I felt the heft of it once it was installed. Been using this buffer for 4 yrs now with no complaints.

DSG Arms just releases their own extended 9mm buffer, its 6.5oz. I bought it to try out as it only $20.00. It's high quality from what I can tell. Its not as nice as my Spike though.

Feedback Score
    I've had very good luck running Rock River's 5.4 ounce 9mm buffer (25 bucks from JSE Surplus) or this 5.5 ounce 9mm buffer from Right to Bear (18 bucks).

I also use Wolff's #16501 buffer spring, which is available everywhere for around 17 bucks. So, for around $40, I have a 100% reliable combo.
    Last edited by e.wyatt; 05-31-18 at 20:16.

Feedback Score
    I run the Spike’s ST-9x buffer, it’s a dedicated length 8.5 oz buffer. Got it for $50 from AIM Surplus.
    Anything heavier than that I’d look at a Slash 10 oz.

The RRA buffer is fine, but I’d consider 5 oz to be the minimum weight for a buffer. I ran one for a while and it’s a good choice if you’re using different caliber uppers on the same lower, but they have a lot of overtravel if you’re not using a spacer, and that overtravel can be hard on long finger bolt catches.

Feedback Score
    I use both, Frankin 9mm rifle 16" barrel with a spikes ST9 buffer / Tubbs Flatwire spring and other the AR 9mm pistol JSE upper 7 1/2" barrel using RR 9mm buffer and spikes spacer / standard carbine spring.
    The rifle, I have run a standard carbine spring without issue, I switched to Tubbs spring to run slide-fire for added bolt closing pressure, added bonus it softened the recoil to
    I would run a Tubbs spring on my other 9 but the flatwire spring wont fit over the RR buffer.

Both function 100% with any brand ammo many thousands of rounds thru both (115, 124 and 147 gr)

I've been running 9mm AR for few yr's I had asked JSE when I first bought my 9mm pistol upper what buffer they recommended, they claimed their uppers would function with standard carbine buffer and no spacer.
    Mine did function just fine but just to avoid breaking bolt stop I chose to run 9mm buffer and spacer
    With spikes buffer you don't need a spacer as it longer

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Tubbs flat spring and a Blitzkrieg buffer is the smoothest, most reliable setup I’ve used to date.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast