Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington model 8

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Agree with the 170's Kk.

I always loaded 170's in my .30/30's.
    Anytime you have a relatively low pressure cartridge (from a bygone era), a "heavy for caliber" bullet is going to work best on game, not to mention the barrels twist rate was most likely designed around a 170.

Feedback Score
    This is weird, but all of a sudden there are several of these at my local pawn shop (which never has much of a selection).

Anglin Second Hand, in Eureka... I'm not affiliated, except they do my FFL transfers (and my 12-year-old is getting a new .22 for Christmas).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What are they chambered in?

Feedback Score
    You mean the ones I saw here? I dunno. I only saw them there, with labels on them. I didn't look closely enough to notice the price or the chambering.

Anglin is a friendly bunch, though, so you could give them a call and ask.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If you see these again you might check for LE markings as well as chambering.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Found some information. Remington specifications called for 10 shot group with factory 170gr ammunition at 100 yards 4.5". Seems like the consensus on a website devoted to the rifle is that good handloads may approach 3.5". Regardless, I have some more testing to do.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Interesting.

Guess your comment of finding online info stating "they shoot great" is pretty subjective.
    Still, 3.5" is gonna be adequate for a 150 yd. gun for deer or bad guys.

I'll be interested in what you come up with, in the way of accuracy improvement, with load development

Feedback Score
    Not an 8, but an 81, so close enough. This one in .300 Savage. Gone now, but it was an interesting rifle.

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    I love my old 1940's era model 81... was my grandfathers... we went out shooting alot with that rifle. Only issue with it now, what it's chambered in... if you think it's hard to find .35 brass or ammo try finding it for a
    .32 remington(no .32 Winchester will not work) I have the last two boxes I could find from a guy, after talking to him for a bit, said here yah go there yours.....

For those looking for info and markings and numbers... check this site out..
    http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=36

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magimerlin01 View Post
    I love my old 1940's era model 81... was my grandfathers... we went out shooting alot with that rifle. Only issue with it now, what it's chambered in... if you think it's hard to find .35 brass or ammo try finding it for a
    .32 remington(no .32 Winchester will not work) I have the last two boxes I could find from a guy, after talking to him for a bit, said here yah go there yours.....

For those looking for info and markings and numbers... check this site out..
    http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=36

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I wonder if those old rifles could be rebarreled to the 6.8 Remington or the same case necked up to say .30 cal for added bullet weight to increase the recoil a bit to improve functioning. Same case head diameter. Shorter case, might feed thru the fixed magazine. Might have to play with the recoil spring and maybe lighten the barrel a bit.

It's an idea, I guess....
    I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast