Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i pick a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How do i pick a suppressor?

I've been trying to read through the forums to learn how to make an educated choice on a new suppressor but I'm in way over my head.
    Seems like most of the conversations on the NFA forum are from people who know what they're talking about and it's not dumbed down for the likes of me.

I'm looking for two things. A place where I can do some research about what models might be best and maybe some recommendations from you guys where to start.

What I think I need is something small and light weight that suppresses fairly well. I'm pretty sure I want something user serviceable.

What I know I need is something that I can use for 556/300bo and my future dreams of a LMT MWS.

I plan on buying in the near future but need to pin a 14.5 barrel soon and would like to get the right muzzle device for this particular rifle now.

Any help?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    User serviceable and rifle cans don’t really go together. Most rifle cans are sealed and basically you never clean them.

For .22 and pistol cans though you ensure that you get a serviceable one.

I would look at the Dead Air cans and SilencerCo Omega. I personally went with the Omega but Dead Air has a better mounting system (you can get the KeyMo for the Omega).

I like buying .30 caliber cans and running them on the smaller calibers so you can run many different guns on the same can.

Pretty much any of the big name manufactures of suppressors will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Do they not need to be cleaned or do they need to be done professionally or something?

I was looking at the Dead Air Sandman k. That seems to get good reviews. At least I'm looking in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    I've been trying to read through the forums to learn how to make an educated choice on a new suppressor but I'm in way over my head.
    Seems like most of the conversations on the NFA forum are from people who know what they're talking about and it's not dumbed down for the likes of me.

I'm looking for two things. A place where I can do some research about what models might be best and maybe some recommendations from you guys where to start.

What I think I need is something small and light weight that suppresses fairly well. I'm pretty sure I want something user serviceable.

What I know I need is something that I can use for 556/300bo and my future dreams of a LMT MWS.

I plan on buying in the near future but need to pin a 14.5 barrel soon and would like to get the right muzzle device for this particular rifle now.

Any help?
    Don't expect user serviceability for a centerfire rifle suppressor (not needed anyway).

You can get a .30 can and mount it on a 5.56 rifle as well as, of course, a .30 rifle (exact cartridge compatibility should be listed by manufacturer, but tons of choices for .308WIN out of typical barrel lengths that you can also use on 5.56 and of course .300 blackout).

Size and weight are generally related to noise reduction in a linear fashion. In other words, larger and heavier suppresses better than smaller and lighter. Nobody would buy anything hefty if this were not the case. A full size rifle can rated for .308 with good sound reduction won't be small or light, and a small/light version won't reduce sound as much as its bigger brother.

You could start by searching/Google searching (____ site:www.m4carbine.net) for particular manufacturers and models of suppressors you are interested in. Even if stuff goes over your head at times, just keep powering through and you'll pick things up continuously and become more informed.

There is also http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php

I admittedly don't know that much about suppressors. Back when I looked into this I landed on an AAC 7.62 SDN-6 and in my overall limited use, it's been good and I haven't regretted the decision. I bought it for the same uses/reasons you listed. I'd like a Mini version sometime too (maybe a 5.56 only mini), but that's more money ,more waiting, and more noise (lighter though)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Do they not need to be cleaned or do they need to be done professionally or something?

I was looking at the Dead Air Sandman k. That seems to get good reviews. At least I'm looking in the right direction.
    Do not need cleaned.

Feedback Score
    http://www.silencerresearch.com/index.htm

I used this place years ago & was happy with the .22LR serviceable can, G5 & Evo9 I bought years ago.

However, I think shooting them & checking them out is really the best. That usually requires some travel to a BIG class 3 place, but I think it’s worth the trip for the investment of a year of wait time & usually $600-$1100 depending on your choice.

ETA: Silencer Talk was also helpful—sorry I forgot to add it

And if I had multiple hosts, i’d Just get a .30 cal can for .308 & .30 Blackout
    Last edited by MSW; 11-05-17 at 19:37. Reason: Agree

Feedback Score
    Here's my suggestion. Go somewhere you can shoot some cans. Some of the most disappointed people in the world are those that buy a can for a 5.56 and have never shot one before.

That being said, you're listed as being in Charlotte. Assuming that's NC, we're neighbors...and I happen to own a few cans. Just need to find a time and place to get together.

And you're local to one of the best suppressor dealers you'll find...Tar Heel State Firearms. One stop shop for cans, fingerprints, photos, etc.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I think one of the best things you can do is find a stocking dealer that you trust. That was what I did, and it paid off very well.

Everyone should have a good air conditioning guy, a good mechanic, a good dentist and doctor that they trust, right?

It's not so different with NFA. It's a legal and financial decision, in addition to the shooting bits. If you are in Charlotte NC you might ask some of the members that are local to you who they have had repeat business with, and been pleased.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    LOL - BigWaylon read my mind, and posted while I was typing. You are in luck, Jaysop.

Feedback Score
    The only cans I clean are my .22 Spectre II, the blast chamber of my integral .22 LR can and the Nielson device chamber of the Evo9 can.

The research I did years ago in talking to Doug Melton of SRT, guys at Gemtech & AAC said sealed cans, in general, give better suppression & are usually lighter, but you know that generalizations are just that.... Centerfire cans don’t typically need to be cleaned, but many folks I know soak them in brake cleaner every 1000 or so rounds. Or, ycan use hydrogen peroxide & vinegar in steel, non-aluminum cans to dissolve lead, but the lead acetate is toxic waste & cannot be legally dumped, FWIW.

In general, smaller calibers & subsonic are quieter than supersonic rounds. And all else equal, Shooting 5.56 in a .30 can also theoretically isn’t as quiet as 5.56 in a 5.56 can, due to the larger hole, but my ear can’t tell the difference in 5.56 thru a .30 can. But the .300 Blackout i’ve heard shot at the range was scary quiet, while 5.56 sounded like unsuppressed .22 LR or magnum.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What some previous posts hinted at or implied without explicitly stating outright...supersonic rounds still CRACK even with a suppressor, and suppressed 5.56x45/.223 Rem in particular is still loud, just less ridiculously so. You will still want/need hearing protection for everything you listed other than sub-sonic .300 blackout out of a good full size suppressor. You probably already know that, but, in case you don't (or anybody randomly reading), yeah, suppressed 5.56 is still loud and there's no way to change that. I mean, you could load sub sonic 5.56 that wont' cycle a semi auto action but then it's just an expensive .22lr equivalent more or less lol better off just using your Ruger 10/22 or Smith M&P 22 for that
    Last edited by Warp; 11-05-17 at 20:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast