Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i pick a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    BigWaylon I just might take you up on that. I've actually never fired a rifle with a suppressor before and I've hardly handled any. I can't believe I haven't heard of that place before, are they a newer shop in the area?

Thanks for all the leads guys. I'm glad I'm not the only clueless person who decided to get into NFA.

I saw someone say people are disappointed the first time they fire a suppressed 5.56, why is that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    BigWaylon I just might take you up on that. I've actually never fired a rifle with a suppressor before and I've hardly handled any. I can't believe I haven't heard of that place before, are they a newer shop in the area?
    Not sure how long he's been around. He works out of his house, so no store to go visit. But, he as a tom of stuff in stock and you're free to call him and stop by to check out some options. I've been buying cans from him for 3-4 years, and have even worked the gun shows in Charlotte for him for a couple years. He does a ton of laser engraving for people on this site as well.

I saw someone say people are disappointed the first time they fire a suppressed 5.56, why is that?
    Because it's loud. If your entire suppressor experience is what you've seen in the movies, you'll be very disappointed when shooting supersonic ammo through a can.

Just let me know. I have rimfire cans, pistol cans, and rifle cans. Mainly Silencerco, but also a couple YHM and half dozen I built myself.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 11-05-17 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    BigWaylon

I think it's surprisingly loud for those who have never shot a rifle caliber, supersonic, through a suppressor. Perhaps the Hollywood perception is quiet as an archery release when in fact the physics of a supersonic crack is loud. Just compare the same caliber/ammo unsuppressed vs suppressed and you will get a good feel for the reality of the sound. A great starting point is to get a .22 suppressor first. Shooting subsonic .22 is quiet and fun! Good luck!
    Last edited by FlyingHunter; 11-05-17 at 20:15.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Because it is so totally unlike the movies/TV/uninformed would have you believe. Read my post above. Suppressed 5.56 is still loud. Unsuppressed it's really ****ing loud, even suppressed it's still pretty loud (it could be up to ~140 decibels suppressed, depending on variables), you're still going to want hearing protection for every shot (unless not practical for some self defense or duty requirements, etc). Don't get me wrong it's a lot better, especially over concrete, under a canopy, indoors, etc, and you if you were inclined to double up plugs/muffs with the straight rifle you should be comfortable with just one or the other suppressed even indoors etc, and I couldn't imagine a 5.56 home defense SBR without a suppressor...and .300 blackout is great to pair with a suppressor particularly the sub sonic

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Oh yea I know its not movie quiet but I'd like it to take the punch out of it at least. I figure it might be better for when I get my son and wife shooting.

Feedback Score
    To add to the convo...

There are generally three sounds when you pull the trigger on a firearm:
    1. The mechanical sound of the firearm itself
    2. The "gunshot" sound of the hot gas expanding and leaving the muzzle
    3. The sonic crack of the projectile as it travels though the air

#1 happens regardless of ammo or suppressor. It's while a bolt gun is quieter than a semi-auto.
    #2 is what a suppressor deals with
    #3 can only be controlled with ammo selection

I've posted this multiple times, but it helps give people an idea of how the suppressor/ammo combination works. It's a 7" 9mm AR. The mag is loaded with a rotation of 115/124/147 grain ammo. Only the 147 is subsonic. I fire two "sets" of three shots without a can. They'll sound similar because noises 1 & 2 are present for all shots, and #2 is more noticeable than #3 without the can. You will notice the subsonic ammo burns a little differently (streaky instead of a blast).

Then, I attach an Osprey 45 and keep shooting. In this case, noise #2 is gone. Noise #3 is there for the 115 and 124, but gone for the 147. You'll hear boom, boom, click. All you get with the 147gr is the noise of the firearm itself. The issue with 5.56/.223 is you'll always have noise #3...and indoors it's even worse.

You can't trust YouTube audio and/or an iPhone mic...but it'll give you a pretty decent idea of why "Hollywood quiet" is not the norm...

Feedback Score
    Oh yea I know its not movie quiet but I'd like it to take the punch out of it at least. I figure it might be better for when I get my son and wife shooting.
    No doubt that reducing a 165dB sound to 140dB is a massive reduction. It lets me go from plugs and muffs to just one or the other. It's much more pleasant outside either way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It tames the punch down quite a bit. It doesn't just SLAM into you, to where you can feel it in your teeth as if you were hit by a rubber mallet, the way a brake'd or indoor/over concrete under a roof wide open 5.56 might.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I purchased a Silencerco Omega for my first can because of its relatively lighter weight, shorter length, versatility and mounting method. These, in no particular order, were my priorities for a suppressor. It will effectively suppress anything from 5.56 to my .300 Weatherby without issue.

User serviceability is only necessary for rimfire cans. With centerfire rounds, you should never have to worry about cleaning. I’ve only heard good things about the Deadman series.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    People covered most everything. I would not go chasing after decibles. Mounting system is important. After that it just becomes a balancing act of size, weight, robustness, capabilities.

I went with the shaker 7.62. It is on the heavy side but built like a tank. Different mounting options...rated up to 300 rum.

I also have a revolution 9. It can go from a full size 9mm can to a shorter one. I have found the extra baffles give almost no advantage on my end and just run it in the "k" configuration (short).

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast