Thread: I can't decide on an optic

Feedback Score

I can't decide on an optic

I put together a 16" recce, and I plan on shooting 556 55gr, 62gr, and 77gr rounds. However, I'm not local to many shooting ranges that offer distances beyond 300 yards. I plan to primarily shoot from both prone and bench-seated. With that being said, I would like to pick up some magnification that easily tackles 300 yards but also will suffice when I take it to 600 yard ranges.

ACSS is cool, but not preferred. Mil or MOA, capped/uncapped, doesn't matter. Definitely needs an illuminated reticle. My budget is $900. My gut is telling me ACOG 4x (used of course) due to not really needing to spend extra funds for a scope mount. What do you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    I would look into the Trijicon TR25 they have both mil and MOA models. I love my TR24's and the TR25 is just a 6x version you can find them on gunbroker for $900-975. I can PM you some other places to look too. Are you wanting a recce in the essence of a 1-X optic or would having a 3-9 or 2.5-10 also be something you would consider as well?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmcgavinson View Post
    I put together a 16" recce, and I plan on shooting 556 55gr, 62gr, and 77gr rounds. However, I'm not local to many shooting ranges that offer distances beyond 300 yards. I plan to primarily shoot from both prone and bench-seated. With that being said, I would like to pick up some magnification that easily tackles 300 yards but also will suffice when I take it to 600 yard ranges.

ACSS is cool, but not preferred. Mil or MOA, capped/uncapped, doesn't matter. Definitely needs an illuminated reticle. My budget is $900. My gut is telling me ACOG 4x (used of course) due to not really needing to spend extra funds for a scope mount. What do you guys recommend?
    You're all over the map. Say more about your experience with that type of gun (SPR/recce or precision rifle) and what you want to accomplish specifically. Someone can then help you.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

People keep throwing around the "recce" term without actually knowing what it means or what it's for. What you're describing sounds more like an SPR or DMR, which are best suited to stationary prone and BR shooting and would be preferred for use from about 40-600 yards and beyond, where I'd be looking at optics like the 2.5-10x PST or 2-10x PST Gen II at a minimum, longer barrels (16-20") with heavier profiles, faster twist (1:7 or 1:7.7), etc. Recce rifles are generally kept light as they're intended to be humped around all day long, shot on the move, and need to work effectively from 0 to 400 yards (give or take), and that's where LPVOs like the P4Xi, 1-6x PST Gen II, and TR24 shine.

With all that said, it doesn't have to fit some designation. If you want an ACOG because you like ACOGs and think it will work, just get an ACOG and to hell with what everyone else thinks, you'll probably be happy with it and it will work well at typical square range distances... call it the MPR (McGavinson Precision Rifle).
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 11-06-17 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    For range use only? Gonna kill smelly bearded men with it? Trust your life to it?

Gonna use Holdovers and Windage or dial everything? Benchrest paper punching or dynamic tactical precision stuff?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I would look into the Trijicon TR25 they have both mil and MOA models. I love my TR24's and the TR25 is just a 6x version you can find them on gunbroker for $900-975. I can PM you some other places to look too. Are you wanting a recce in the essence of a 1-X optic or would having a 3-9 or 2.5-10 also be something you would consider as well?
    Thank you brother, I'm sending you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    You're all over the map. Say more about your experience with that type of gun (SPR/recce or precision rifle) and what you want to accomplish specifically. Someone can then help you.
    Someone already helped, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    People keep throwing around the "recce" term without actually knowing what it means or what it's for. What you're describing sounds more like an SPR or DMR, which are best suited to stationary prone and BR shooting and would be preferred for use from about 40-600 yards and beyond, where I'd be looking at optics like the 2.5-10x PST or 2-10x PST Gen II at a minimum, longer barrels (16-20") with heavier profiles, faster twist (1:7 or 1:7.7), etc. Recce rifles are generally kept light as they're intended to be humped around all day long, shot on the move, and need to work effectively from 0 to 400 yards (give or take), and that's where LPVOs like the P4Xi, 1-6x PST Gen II, and TR24 shine.

With all that said, it doesn't have to fit some designation. If you want an ACOG because you like ACOGs and think it will work, just get an ACOG and to hell with what everyone else thinks, you'll probably be happy with it and it will work well at typical square range distances... call it the MPR (McGavinson Precision Rifle).
    From what I've sifted through, "recce" is rifle platform built around a 16" precision/match grade barrel with variable optics. I have the first part down, now I'm looking for recommendations on which zoom optics people are comfortable with. From my end, I have about 30+ different types of riflescopes floating around my head and it's hard for me to narrow that list down.

Love the MPR designation though.

Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    For range use only? Gonna kill smelly bearded men with it? Trust your life to it?

Gonna use Holdovers and Windage or dial everything? Benchrest paper punching or dynamic tactical precision stuff?
    This one will be range use only. No beardies. Dialing for windage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what I've sifted through, "recce" is rifle platform built around a 16" precision/match grade barrel with variable optics.
    Going back to the original SEAL Reconnaissance Rifle, yes, it was a 16" 1:8 carbine gas barrel. Unless you're a cloner, a recce rifle has come to categorize lighter weight, accurized 14.5-16" carbine or mid gas rifles with an LPVO with a minimum power of 1.5x or less. Anything more and you get into SPR/DMR territory. Most people don't care about the terminology or how X is categorized, but if you're going to throw the phrase around, it's best to have a well rounded understanding of it and not just go by a Wiki definition.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 11-06-17 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    OP, where are you at with this currently?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    ELCAN SPECTER DR- nuff said!!

Feedback Score
    I am looking at the Primary Arms 2.5xCQB ACSS. It should do everything you are asking. It's reticle works and is marked from 0 to 600 and it is etched so it works battery or not. It has a whole bunch of ranging features besides this. At $199.00 or less, how can you go wrong? It accepts ACOG quick release mounts or Primary have their own. Maybe if I were a super experienced guy, this would be unacceptable, but for me it sounds great.