Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible causes for indented firing pin face?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It really only takes one pierced primer to damage a firing pin. It's still possible that's the cause. We just went through this with one of my ARs. Mine had gotten out of control however... some bolt face damage started to occur.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It really only takes one pierced primer to damage a firing pin. It's still possible that's the cause. We just went through this with one of my ARs. Mine had gotten out of control however... some bolt face damage started to occur.
    I suppose I am going to assume that is what happened. I never saw any pierced primers, but I guess this is the most likely culprit for my damaged firing pin.

I had a non AR type rifle years ago that used to pierce primers on factory ammo due to bad headspace, but I assume that can only happen if the bolt is not headspaced properly and would not happen if the shoulder of reloads were too short.

Could a possible cause for my recent damaged firing pin be that maybe one of my primers was not seated properly, which could of caused the firing pin to puncture the primer?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    but I assume that can only happen if the bolt is not headspaced properly and would not happen if the shoulder of reloads were too short.
    It's likely more of a firing pin protrusion issue. The FP should only be allowed to protrude so much... even if the head space is wrong. I suppose there could be some gun designs where the FP depth/movement relied on correct head space...

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Could a possible cause for my recent damaged firing pin be that maybe one of my primers was not seated properly, which could of caused the firing pin to puncture the primer?
    I don't think so. I've had some high seated primers in bolt gun ammo over the years and never saw any issues. I think I've heard of slam fire from high primers, but not piercing. It's usually a hot round or a FP protrusion issue that gets this started.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think so. I've had some high seated primers in bolt gun ammo over the years and never saw any issues. I think I've heard of slam fire from high primers, but not piercing. It's usually a hot round or a FP protrusion issue that gets this started.
    Interesting, I will take your word for it. I am just surprised as I have never gone past max load data, even though I am very anal and careful about my loads it is possible I made a mistake somewhere. That makes sense as well, you are right, a proper firing pin should not protrude far enough to pierce a primer even if the primer was not seated all the way.

It's likely more of a firing pin protrusion issue. The FP should only be allowed to protrude so much... even if the head space is wrong. I suppose there could be some gun designs where the FP depth/movement relied on correct head space...
    That gun was such a POS, I don't know the answer to that for sure, all I know is that I had to have a gunsmith do a lot of work on it, and it had out of spec headspace. It is possible the firing pin was worked on as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12