Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog thread .... join up and post about mans best friend here!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    What a good girl!

I have a GSD rescue who is a wonderful dog. He was abandoned, but is my best buddy today.

No matter how crappy my day is, I'm always laughing after I get home and we start to play.

His rear hips are pretty bad now, and he's old. What have people done to help with older dogs with bad hips?

I've been going through this for awhile. Talk with your vet, mine is awesome, and explain what is going on and that you want to develop a plan for your pup as he ages.

My older GSD is 13 years old, is a lean 100lbs, and is towards the end, here is his regiment. Take this in to your doc, none of these meds are overly expensive, which makes it an easy choice.

Carprofen- 75mg every 12 hrs. It provides day-to-day treatment for pain and inflammation from various kinds of joint pain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carprofen

Gabapentin- 300mg every 12hrs. It is recommended as one of a number of first line medications for the treatment of neuropathic pain. If the hips and back are super bad, he is probably at the point of nerve pain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin

Tramadol- 1-2 30mg tablets every 12hrs. Tramadol is a synethic opioid. Tramadol is used primarily to treat mild–severe pain, both acute and chronic. Tramadol is considered similar to morphine, and is probably not something you are going to be using all the time with your pup until he is near the end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks very much, Stick, I really appreciate the advice.

I have no idea how old he is. He was abandoned and left to die in a backyard after the homeowners were evicted. I found him and nursed him back to health. He's a big silly goofball, and incredibly loyal.

The OTC stuff we started with is not strong enough anymore, and this Rx regime should be very helpful.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks very much, Stick, I really appreciate the advice.

I have no idea how old he is. He was abandoned and left to die in a backyard after the homeowners were evicted. I found him and nursed him back to health. He's a big silly goofball, and incredibly loyal.

The OTC stuff we started with is not strong enough anymore, and this Rx regime should be very helpful.

Thanks again.
    You are very welcome. A GOOD dog is a serious part of the team, and it isn't easy as they get towards the end of their life. The Gabapentin and Carprofen should be pretty noticeable. The Tramadol was noticeable, but in general it has been a slow painful downward spiral. He is still happy and alert, though not the same as he used to be. Much of the time is spent on the leather couch now or on thick carpeting. Its hard for him to get up, and at times his hips give out.

Mrs Stick and I both agree that while he has a decent quality of life, he won't get put down. When the pain becomes a higher counter balance to his QOL, (on a regular basis) it will be time.

In talking with our vet, this is functionally, and realistically the last of what can be done. I don't have money to spend just for the sake of spending it, but the above has not only been low cost, but it has been highly effective. I told the vet I would like to see if we could get an extra 3 or 4 months with him, and we have happily exceeded that. The difference is large.

We did OTC, but having an actual pain management program made all the difference in the world. Please keep me posted!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Attachment 48509
    My Boston passed on 10/30/17
    Strongly considering a Rat Terrier
    So sorry for the loss of your Boston.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is Cheyenne. She is a rescue, and she was about 1 1/2 y/o when we got her. We're not sure of her breeding, but she is one hell of a dog! She is smart, loyal, loving, and protective of our family. She is 8 y/o now, but still plays like a puppy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is my buddy Elmer. He's some kind of a mutt mix of terrier/beagle that I got for free. He loves having his picture taken; when he sees a camera he will stop and pose. He has no special talents other than offering unconditional love and loyalty, and he makes me laugh...

Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    “One thing to remember is to talk to the animals. If you do, they will talk back to you. But if you don't talk to the animals, they won't talk back to you, then you won't understand, and when you don't understand you will fear, and when you fear you will destroy the animals, and if you destroy the animals, you will destroy yourself."
    -- Chief Dan George

Feedback Score
    This is our mut, Hera. She's an Irish Retriever (Golden Retriever and Irish Setter). She'll be turning 9 next month, and still acts like a puppy most days. She loves her daily 2 mile walk, and tries to hunt squirrels with the best of them. I snapped these today testing out a new lens.

And here's one from when she was two years old playing in the Montana snow

Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 11-11-17 at 15:40.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Here are a couple IPO I, IPO II.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    m1.jpg mine is real tough :-)

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast