Thread: IR performance of the newer 2017 SureFire vampire heads?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

IR performance of the newer 2017 SureFire vampire heads?

Anybody have time on the newer generation SureFire vampire scout lights or X300Vs?

I think the latest is a KM1-C head for the 300-series mini-scout (which I have), the KM2-B for the 600-series, and the X300V-B.

Wondering how much they've improved the IR throw on the other models.

My KM1-C can just barely touch the 200-meter range at my local club under IR. But that's definitely improved over the older version, which you can read about here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-light-output

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I'm not exactly sure what head it had, but I used a first run M600V in mid/late 2015 and directly compared it to the previous generation M620V that it replaced.

It could throw out to 100-150 yards easily, but I was using it more indoors vs the illuminator on my laser that I reserved for longer distance IR light between 200-300 outdoors. The spill was generous enough to fill large rooms and still stay tight down 50-60 yard interior hallways, and it worked well in tandem with an RDS under NODs. It had at least twice the throw of an M620V.

I would strongly recommend a Class III laser illuminator if IR light is needed beyond 100-150 yards. But to be completely honest, I have very little range time with a Class 1 illuminator and the DBAL-A3 my friend was running was severely underwhelming compared to my PEQ-15. I've heard the MAWL illuminator is fairly powerful for a Class 1, but I haven't had the chance to use one yet.

Side note: I greatly preferred the rotating head on the M600V vs the slip ring of the M620V in that it was so much easier to manipulate. Also, having a "lock out" mode is convenient if you're conducting Airborne operations, fast roping, or free climbing and want to remove any risk of a weapon light ND.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what head it had, but I used a first run M600V in mid/late 2015 and directly compared it to the previous generation M620V that it replaced.

It could throw out to 100-150 yards easily, but I was using it more indoors vs the illuminator on my laser that I reserved for longer distance IR light between 200-300 outdoors. The spill was generous enough to fill large rooms and still stay tight down 50-60 yard interior hallways, and it worked well in tandem with an RDS under NODs. It had at least twice the throw of an M620V.

I would strongly recommend a Class III laser illuminator if IR light is needed beyond 100-150 yards. But to be completely honest, I have very little range time with a Class 1 illuminator and the DBAL-A3 my friend was running was severely underwhelming compared to my PEQ-15. I've heard the MAWL illuminator is fairly powerful for a Class 1, but I haven't had the chance to use one yet.

Side note: I greatly preferred the rotating head on the M600V vs the slip ring of the M620V in that it was so much easier to manipulate. Also, having a "lock out" mode is convenient if you're conducting Airborne operations, fast roping, or free climbing and want to remove any risk of a weapon light ND.
    Yeah, I have an A3 also, but recently I've been shooting it out at 200 meters. I agree, it's pretty underwhelming.

I'm wondering if the new KM-2B head or X300V-B can light up a target good enough that far out.

I'm hesitant to pick up a class iiib laser due to warranty service and supportability concerns.

The upcoming DBAL-A4 V2 might be the ticket though.

I don't want a D2 due to the massive signature.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I can 100% confirm an X300V runs out of ass around 100 yards if we're talking the ability to PID a target's hands. I would honestly limit it to 50-100. However, the X300V performs very well in tandem with an RMR on a Glock.

I completely understand your concerns about a gray market Class III. For what it's worth, if you can find a legit PEQ-15 that is in good shape, it'll likely last forever. I rarely saw them break in the Army, and by rarely I mean I can count on three fingers how many time I saw it in 8 years.

Once when a rifle was backed over by an MRAP (the only thing serviceable after was the ACOG, funny enough), another when a new guy jettisoned his combat equipment somewhere around 500ft AGL on his first night jump (there were only little PEQlettes in the weapons case on the DZ, but the mounting screw was still attached to the rail), and the third was when a rifle was thrown from the turret following an IED strike (and again, the ACOG was still serviceable and actually still zeroed).

I don't have too much time with the DBAL-A2, but was issued one from 2011-2013 and it was just as durable as the PEQ-15 across the board in our unit. We had some of them in my Brigade in the 82nd, and I can't recall one ever going down on us. As for the PEQ-2, I had to use red loctite on the screw that attaches the body to the mount to keep it from walking loose...so skip those.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's good info. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I really dig my X400V, though i use it on a 19 within general pistol ranges. Even for a rifle, youd be an absolute fool to buy an i2 or cqbl1 over an x400v