Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" w/ 0.080 gas port

Feedback Score

11.5" w/ 0.080 gas port

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up to do my first pistol build and I bought a GMR 11.5" nitride barrel. Emailed them and was told it has a .080 gas port. Is this going to be an issue? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You'll probably want to dial that port down at least 10 thou...
    Last edited by Clint; 11-08-17 at 23:02.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I would send it back.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unacceptable. .071 is nice with no can. We've been choking them down to .067 for suppressed use... although they will run unsuppressed at .067... it's just pushing it a little.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry OP, I just need to ask. Are these oversized ports so people can run cheap Wolf ammo?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    An 11.5" with a .076 will run almost all ammo on the market without being massively overgassed. Anything larger than that is 100% unnecessary.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Sorry OP, I just need to ask. Are these oversized ports so people can run cheap Wolf ammo?
    I think so. The Industry has taken forever to figure this shit out. For YEARS the solution was extractor tension/O rings... all kinds of retarded crap like this... Then the attention went to heavy buffers. This was much less retarded... but still not the best solution. (I'm not saying the CAR buffer is acceptable... just that an H3 or H4 carbine buffer is too heavy, and the gassing needs to be addressed)

Now we are finally seeing some attention to correctly gassing the guns from the get go. Sionics as an example. I think their 11.5 reduced gas port is the best AR barrel you can get right now. Pappabear bought one, and after seeing the quality of the Chrome lining and the way it shot, I bought one too.
    Last edited by markm; 11-08-17 at 17:02.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Unless you run in the rare combination that may include extreme low temps with guns running dried and fouled, you really do not want to port for that. I would rather see a regular M16 chamber and bore with a .067" port for this that has action mass options for those extremes than enlarging the base port.

Feedback Score
    How did they come to spec it to that size?
    Does it matter now?
    Why didn’t you ask before you bought it?
    My 11.5” .075” is a little over gassed (measured by caliper) so I would expect a .08 to be quite a bit excessive.

Why don’t you tell us if it’s a problem after you get some rounds down range? You are pot- committed.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-08-17 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Now we are finally seeing some attention to correctly gassing the guns from the get go. Sionics as an example. I think their 11.5 reduced gas port is the best AR barrel you can get right now. Pappabear bought one, and after seeing the quality of the Chrome lining and the way it shot, I bought one too.
    I love mine. It runs like a champ, suppressed and unsuppressed. No changing springs, buffers or other monkeyshines. Just feed it quality ammo and use reliable mags.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast