Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old school knives you don’t see or use much any more...

Feedback Score

Old school knives you don’t see or use much any more...

They have seen better days,
    But show off those old Al Mars, beat up Kabars, etc.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x83PPCBPcOJ4Hj553

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Too cool! Gerber BMF was the first knife I bought after boot... still have several old Gerbers in the safe, no pics though.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I remember that BMF depending on when you got one had a slightly different blade profile and size.
    The LMF has a weird handle everyone hated.

The TAC II has the cool sheath with retention lock.

This was an era when guys did stuff like got a Buckmaster and bent the prongs using it as an anchor rappelling down the side of the barracks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The best folder ever- the Buck 110. Although still for sale not part of the tacticool club. Mine is 30+ years old and will still shave the hair off my arm.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About 25 years ago when I was in ROTC I had a really nice E.K. Commando that I really liked. Somehow it sprouted legs and walked off. Sadly you don't see E.K. knives much anymore.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've still got an original Blackjack HALO that was carried on my old SWAT vest for 15 years. I recently sold an original, new Blackjack Combat Kukri. The price was too much and I wouldn't use it anyway. Over the years in the woods I usually had the old Cold Steel S.S. Kukris. Still have one of those.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Attachment 48716

Pretty sweet collection, They kind of look like old dive knives. What is the make/model of the middle one.

A while back I saw a one of a kind Glesser Knife & Tool prototype folding knife designed by Al Mar on Ebay. That knife had like 100+ bids and was already up to $3400 with 2 days left. Sal Glesser is the founder of Spyderco.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Too cool! Gerber BMF was the first knife I bought after boot... still have several old Gerbers in the safe, no pics though.
    I use to have one of the too.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Attachment 48716

Pretty sweet collection, They kind of look like old dive knives. What is the make/model of the middle one.
    That's the one we're talking about - Gerber BMF
    Last edited by titsonritz; 11-16-17 at 22:45.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Top is Gerber TAC 2.
    You used to see the MK I and II a lot as well.

Middle is early BMF. Plain or saw toothed they were a touch shorter than later ones.

Bottom is later 80s BMF. Plain or saw toothed they were a touch bigger.

My most used and abused was actually a KABAR.
    The big conundrum was to spend 40 bucks on a real one, or there was a 20 or 30 dollar camellius version I believe.

A new ranger was looking at about 800 bucks a month after taxes. Figure half that gone for car and insurance.
    Then most of the rest spent on dates, alcohol, etc.

I think BMFs and zbuckmasters, etc. were three or four times as much as a real KaBar. And the KaBar would dig cat holes, hammer stuff, chop stuff, and cut stuff fine.

I would say a KaBar or the smaller survival issue knife, a Seiko Diver, and a pocket Swiss Army knife (until the leatherman came out) were ten times as common as the more expensive knives, roleses, etc.

It was an EVENT when someone got a BMF or Buckmaster let alone a Randall. We literally huddled around and oohed and awed at the unwrapping. I bought my first BMF used off a guy I grew up as a 60 gunner with and spent some time as roommates when we were new team leaders. He was getting married. He died a few years later. I bumped into one young ranger who was the son of another guy I had been in the same platoon with. I kept hoping I would run into his son and I could give him the knife.

I’m getting old.

Feedback Score
    Those cheap Rambo knives from the 80's.

My brother and I each had one, carried them everywhere when we were kids.

http://www.gofastandlight.com/images/surknife_big.JPG

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast