Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling Cross Country With An SBR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Travelling Cross Country With An SBR

I'm planning a cross country trip by private vehicle with my SBR. Do I need a Form 5320.20 just for my destination, or do I need one for each state I drive through?

Thanks!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As long as your not staying the night in those states or stopping and shooting you just file one for your final destination.

At least that’s what I️ have read. I️ live right in the border of TX and OK and I️ am reading that I️ can file one that will last a year.

I️ hope that’s how it works though as I️ shoot in OK a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm planning a cross country trip by private vehicle with my SBR. Do I need a Form 5320.20 just for my destination, or do I need one for each state I drive through?

Thanks!
    Unless you NEED the SBR for a specific purpose like a class or work I would consider taking an AR pistol instead. An AR pistol will have the same form factor and no permission needed from Uncle Sam. With that said, be very cautious that you have the necessary permission slips for each state you plan to spend the night in while traveling which is easy to get. If a state is non SBR friendly then keep trucking through it until you get to a Freedom loving location.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks!
    From where to where? Remember also, there's some states in the NE who do not honor the fed law RE interstate travel with firearms, much less an SBR. Sure, after who knows how much time and $ you might get that SBR back, etc, but avoiding them totally is by far best course of action.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Damned shame that something we have come to own completely legally via federal forms, fingerprints, photos and background checks, we need to worry about getting too far from home with it and getting our life messed up just because we passed through Jackboot.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If I were you, I would file the name of every state. As someone mentioned those forms are good for one year. So how hard would it be to say VA, NC, SC, GA, FL if you were going down the east coast for instance. Then get the State level permissions as needed.

Why take a chance for the simple task of writing a State name on a piece of paper. I would print out a general map of your intended route with red dot on each major city you may be in or near.

The worse thing that can happen is they say, yeah, we don't need all that info but thanks anyway. You are talking about 5 minutes of your time. I mean N.C. is correct it is insane that we have to do this after every other hoop we had to jump through but of all the hoops that's the least inconvenient one.

The Dems are on a roll right now. Our new Gov. elect has already said, he's ready to start with additional gun laws. Tim Kain introduced at least 3 new bills a month ago. Feinstein is back from the dead. It's just not a good time to be the guy that accidentally gets made an example of. Your odds are off the chart of getting called on it but still, they have all your info, just give them the itinerary in the form of a weeks and not hours. In fact you could probably phrase it that 'in the next six months I will be traveling to.... ' or... 'during the month of August I will travel to X, Y, Z with this SBR....'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Unless you NEED the SBR for a specific purpose like a class or work I would consider taking an AR pistol instead. An AR pistol will have the same form factor and no permission needed from Uncle Sam. With that said, be very cautious that you have the necessary permission slips for each state you plan to spend the night in while traveling which is easy to get. If a state is non SBR friendly then keep trucking through it until you get to a Freedom loving location.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    From where to where? Remember also, there's some states in the NE who do not honor the fed law RE interstate travel with firearms, much less an SBR. Sure, after who knows how much time and $ you might get that SBR back, etc, but avoiding them totally is by far best course of action.
    Yes, I have a specific reason for taking my SBR and I've looked up the laws in all the states I'll be passing through and the states of alternate routes and I'm good to go.

So, what do I do about states I'm just passing through or might spend the night but not certain where? Do I just use the random address of a hotel or range or something?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Do I just use the random address of a hotel or range or something?
    I would just put a dot/line on a map and lest say you were driving the VA mountains. Put a line from Bristol VA into Bristol TN... which basically means =you drove across the street. Then say a line up into Va over into a city in W-VA. Just do generic stuff that is close to where you might be.

You might could use the address of the county courthouses as a generic point.

Feedback Score
    So, what do I do about states I'm just passing through or might spend the night but not certain where? Do I just use the random address of a hotel or range or something?
    That is what I've done. I have approved forms for the 10 states around me, and just picked a range in each one. Interstate travel needs permission, intrastate (other than a couple ridiculous municipalities) does not. I submit them each fall for the next year. Just got my 2018 forms back last week.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Which is why you insure your vehicle is current on tags, inspections, etc., all safety equipment is working, obey all traffic laws and if stopped, POLITELY refuse to answer questions and ALWAYS refuse permission to search. Remember that police can legally lie to you, but lying to them is a crime. It sucks you have to be like that, but you do.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast