Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.5" barrels and gas ports

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

10.5" barrels and gas ports

Currently in the process of sorting an SBR build and had some questions on the available 10.5" 5.56 barrels out. From what I've been able to find, .070 to .071" is the correct port size for this config.

Question is - is anyone making mil-spec chrome lined barrels (with an fsp) to this spec? Rifle will mainly if not exclusively be shooting 5.56 pressure ammo.

No luck on finding the Colt or LMT barrels anywhere and I've heard mixed results on DD and Noveske barrels (regarding port size). Any opinions on cutting a 6920 or BCM 16" socom barrel to 10.5 and opening up the port?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Andro Corp. I have one of their .070 port size 10.3" barrels. If i'm not mistaken they are made by Ballistic Advantage. I know you said you wanted a 10.5" (which they has as well), but I don't know what the gas port size is.

Here is the 10.3 http://androcorpind.com/556-nato-10-...rt-size-0-070/

Feedback Score
    "Question is - is anyone making mil-spec chrome lined barrels (with an fsp) to this spec?"

Colt. "This is a NEW (not a take off or cut down) Colt 10.3" 5.56 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel. HPT/MPI Testest with an M4 barrel extension and F marked FSB. Includes a barrel nut and handguard cap. Gas Port size is .070."

Finding them is the chore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    Any opinions on cutting a 6920 or BCM 16" socom barrel to 10.5 and opening up the port?
    That is ABSOLUTELY the way to go if you don't mind paying to get the work done.

DD might be starting to make smaller ports... but I doubt they're small enough. I wouldn't take anything Noveske is making now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Was thinking about buying something Noveske. Anything wrong with them, and what would you recommend in place?

I am personally thinking of something 16", but to keep the thread happy what would you say for a 10.5 inch?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies, ended up going with a 6920. Going to run it as a 16” till the stamp comes in and then cut to 10.3”. Will probably send to ADCO for the work.

Threw on a KAC RAS and an Aimpoint I had. Digging it so far - need to get more rounds on it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    Was thinking about buying something Noveske. Anything wrong with them, and what would you recommend in place?

I am personally thinking of something 16", but to keep the thread happy what would you say for a 10.5 inch?
    BCM is always a safe bet. There aren't any acceptable 10.5s out there that I know of. SCIONICS RGP 11.5 is nice at .071" That could be cut to 10.5 with NO port work, but it's kinda nuts to pay to have just 1" lopped off of a barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP gratz on your rifle. I am a fan of the RAS. ADCO does great work. Will he need a new buffer? I recall mk18's using a H2 or something the like.

I have BCM's and I am bored of them. 16" Noveske stainless even gets the no from markm?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'd be using an H2. Noveske 10.5" have Linda Lovelace gas ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    OP gratz on your rifle. I am a fan of the RAS. ADCO does great work. Will he need a new buffer? I recall mk18's using a H2 or something the like.

I have BCM's and I am bored of them. 16" Noveske stainless even gets the no from markm?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    BCM is always a safe bet. There aren't any acceptable 10.5s out there that I know of. SCIONICS RGP 11.5 is nice at .071" That could be cut to 10.5 with NO port work, but it's kinda nuts to pay to have just 1" lopped off of a barrel.
    Do you happen to know the size of Sionics' non-RGP 11.5" gas port? I noticed they sell 11.5" barrels with two different gas port sizes.
    Last edited by Fluke; 01-19-18 at 00:44.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast