Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.5" barrels and gas ports

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    16" Noveske stainless even gets the no from markm?
    When Noveske was making good stuff, they were over priced in my opinion. Now, their quality seems to have dropped, huge gas ports, etc. I wouldn't buy Noveske stuff at a deep discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Do you happen to know the size of Sionics' non-RGP 11.5" gas port? I noticed they sell 11.5" barrels with two different gas port sizes.
    I don't. I only have the RGP. I could only guess that it's .004-.005" larger than the RGP.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    DD Mk18 gas port are a confirmed .070" now, just FYI.

Whoops, sorry... missed the FSP thing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    DD Mk18 gas port are a confirmed .070" now, just FYI.

Whoops, sorry... missed the FSP thing.
    God bless them. The should do an FSB run. I know us FSB hard heads are in the minority.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    God bless them. The should do an FSB run. I know us FSB hard heads are in the minority.
    Completely agree.

I may have missed it somewhere, but doesn’t LMT offer a Crane-spec’d Mk18 FSP bbl?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm a FSP lover too! Only one of my uppers doesn't have one.

I have two LMT 10.5" that have run very well for me. I have no idea what size the gas port is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post

I have two LMT 10.5" that have run very well for me. I have no idea what size the gas port is.
    They've changed the port size over the years. Used to be that LMT made them to CRANE spec.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

10.5" barrels and gas ports

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post

The LMT was my other option, as a turnkey upper. There’s a few on gunbroker right now. I figured with the 16” Colt I get to shoot it as is while the stamp processes. Makes the wait go by..
    Last edited by marco.g; 01-19-18 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Do you happen to know the size of Sionics' non-RGP 11.5" gas port? I noticed they sell 11.5" barrels with two different gas port sizes.
    .076" is their standard 11.5" GP.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

10.5" barrels and gas ports

Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    The LMT was my other option, as a turnkey upper. There’s a few on gunbroker right now. I figured with the 16” Colt I get to shoot it as is while the stamp processes. Makes the wait go by..
    ADCO didn't great job cutting an AR bbl down for me. I'd use them again. You'll be with out your gun for a while. Extra uppers are great to have. Why 10.5? My next several uppers have been BCM 11.5" I've had no issues with the LMT 10.5" guns but I read Paul's post on why he chooses 11.5" for fighting guns. I think it's a sticky here on M4C. I'd link it but haven't compl figured Taptalk out! I'll look for it.

Found one thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...0-5-quot-upper

"Why doesn't BCM make a 10.5" upper?
    ETA -

Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5"

I get this question a lot. It is a good one. When we spec our program we can build anything we would like, so we sat down and looked at the pros and cons.

First Statement: I know a good 10.5" SBR can run very well. I personally own a semi MK18 type and it runs great. No problems.

A: Dwell time.
    Dwell time is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue the cycling of the weapon. It primarily exsists from the time the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel to the time the bullet exits the muzzle. When you pull the trigger and fire the weapon the movement of the bolt carrier group unlocks the bolt, extracts, and ejects the spent casing. Then it cocks the weapon, feeds, chambers the next round, and then locks again. One of the thing that can make SBRs finicky is the dwell time (or lack of).

The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time. IMHO, this is an excellent trade off. This additional dwell time (all other things being equal) will allow the carbine to be more forgiving to different ammo types, extremes in air temperature, weak or worn extractor springs, worn extractors, buffer weights, etc.

Last Statement: For those folks who have a 10.5" that works very well, I would reply; me too. (see first statement)

If I had to "go to war" with a AR15 Carbine, I would grab the BCM 11.5".
    The BCM 11.5" Runs Like a Dream.

Hope this info helps,
    Paul"

Last edited by usmcvet; 01-19-18 at 13:31.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast