Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Geissele super precision mounts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question on Geissele super precision mounts

I have a 34mm extended version with a Burris 1-8. Anyways i was at the range yesterday getting the new setup zeroed. Got it zeroed just fine, but the guy working there said my mount is not supposed to touch the hand guard. The mount is mounted to the upper, but still appears to touch the hand guard slightly. There is no way to mount this any different and still get a good eye relief without the cantilever part touching the hand guard. Anyways i was just curious if it matters if it’s touching or not. Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry not sure why some of those pics are sideways. On my phone they are not sideways.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IMHO: you can't flex your handguard hard enough around the barrel nut area with enough force to budge a G mount properly torqued to the receiver.

Feedback Score
    If it's not physically mounted to the handrail, I don't think you are going to have a problem. As noted above, make sure it's torqued to spec and you should be just fine.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    While it's mounted, take a sheet of paper and see if it will slip between the handguard and the mount. The Geissele optic mounts don't press the mount down onto the 1913 rail. Instead they clamp on the four angled surfaces, and the mount sits something like 15 thousandths above the top surface.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    While it's mounted, take a sheet of paper and see if it will slip between the handguard and the mount. The Geissele optic mounts don't press the mount down onto the 1913 rail. Instead they clamp on the four angled surfaces, and the mount sits something like 15 thousandths above the top surface.
    Or hold it up to a light source. There is NO way Bill overlooked the needed clearance over the handguard. I guess you still couldn't rule out the handguard or receiver being out of spec.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's cantilevered so it can be mounted over the rail, and as said, there should be a small physical clearance so it's not touching. As long as there is a small gap, it is working as intended for the proper eye relief without you hanging off the buttstock of your rifle. Range guy needs to read or listen more, or at least Google before going into SME mode...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I just tried that and i can’t get a paper under it. The handguard appears to just be just a hair higher then the upper. I mean it’s so small of a difference, but i guess it’s enough where it touches the mount. I can see light under the mount on the upper though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Appears the handguard might be just a hair out of spec. The difference is so small maybe less then a finger nail thickness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So i moved the mount back so it’s not touching the hand guard and as soon as i torqued it down i could tell a difference because it started getting tighter a lot sooner. I’ll try this setup next time, but eventually might just have to get a different mount. This puts the scope about 2” behind the charging handle. Kinda curious how much the zero will be off doing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast