Thread: Never that I'd see the day...

Feedback Score

Never that I'd see the day...

I got in to guns back in '91. There was constant talk of gun bans and prices were through the roof. Low quality AR15's were going for over $1,000, so I was thrilled when I was able to purchase a factory Bushmaster AR15 for $815 at a gun show. Colts were $1,500 or more if you could even find one. After the '94 AWB passed, I thought that Bushmaster would be the only AR15 that I'd ever be able to own. Fast forward about 20 years and it was different world. I was able to buy a Colt Commando model 6933 (11.5" barrel 5.56x45) for $1,200 + $200 for the stamp. At the time this was supposed to have been quite a big deal as Colt seemed to make it known that they didn't want such rifles being sold to civilians. Fast forward a few more years and I recently purchased a Colt 6920 OEM (no stock set) for $645 including the transfer and one of those Mexican marked 6920's for $725 including the transfer. It seems that competition and high cost has brought Colt pricing to levels that I literally never even considered possible. When I purchased my Commando 6933, I remember seeing their 9mm AR15's, but only the 16" version was available. A couple of days ago I did a search on www.gun.deals and found Colt LE6991's (10.5" barrel 9mm) for $1,003 with insurance. I had to have one, so I pulled the trigger. After transfer and stamp, I'll have one for $1,253. I'm looking forward to fun times ahead, but I don't see how Colt can keep this up and stay in business.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ain't capitalism grand
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    When I see prices drop too drastically, I worry that cheaper components are being installed.

I don't have proof either way, but I'm not sorry I paid around $900 each for all my AR's.

Feedback Score
    Isn't it great when things work out to our benefit. I sold 6 of my AR's when the prices were at their highest about 3/4 years ago, hoping that the day wouldn't be far off that I could restart my AR addiction. This happened far sooner than I expected but not sooner than I wanted. Since I sold my guns for 2/3 times more than I have in them I have a lot of room to get what I want. The funny thing is that I'm not going crazy buying some exotics expensive guns. Picked up a Ruger 18" MPR for $559 delivered and a Colt complete lower for $239. I've shot the Ruger and it's a really a comfortable/accurate gun and has flawless reliability. The Colt will be my creation, one to be thought out.

I guess what I'm getting at is, there's a lot of good things out there for a whole lot less than they used to be. I'm in no hurry to spend a lot of money because you can get a lot more gun for the money.

Lastly, the problem is if these Mfg's can sell the guns for these prices, were we being soaked by paying the older prices how much profit was being built into these guns years back. Anyway times are good build up your arsenal when things are cheap, this may not last forever or will it?

Feedback Score
    I think that advances in manufacturing and larger volumes have resulted in lower costs. AR15's are literally selling for less that it once cost to make them.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    The current political climate is an anomaly, coupled with the fact that manufacturers were ramping up for the exact opposite of the political situation we are currently in.

In other words, I think a lot of people in the gun industry were preparing for a Hillary win. I think prices will normalize eventually.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been shooting since 1987. Never seen a firearms market like this especially put into context of the value of the dollar by today's standards.

Feedback Score

Never that I'd see the day...

Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    The current political climate is an anomaly, coupled with the fact that manufacturers were ramping up for the exact opposite of the political situation we are currently in.

In other words, I think a lot of people in the gun industry were preparing for a Hillary win. I think prices will normalize eventually.
    Probably in 2020...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk