Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: any benefit to Mlok over Keymod?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

any benefit to Mlok over Keymod?

I was planning on buying an SLR rifleworks Intrepid rail for my 9mm AR. But I've grown tired of waiting for them to be back in stock. I started thinking though, do I really need all the extra bulk? All I plan on mounting is a light, front flip sight and a tango down VFG (once the form 1 comes back that is)

I started thinking maybe using a keymod or and mlok to lighten and streamline everything. Is one better than the other? In terms of solid mounting of accessories?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've literally never seen anything Mlok in person... let alone tried it. I'd say if weight and price are high on your priority list, the KMR is tough to beat.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    MLOK is quite inelegant IMO. You have to time the nut then do a quarter turn, but you don't know if the nut is now at a 90* angle from the slot or not.

To me it seems like some sort of Soviet version of keymod.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That looked like a good option, I love the 45° mounting slots. But it seems they don't have a 7"? I'm going to be running a 7" barrel and I want the muzzle device to sit just outside the handguard since it will be being shot unsuppressed for quite a while.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I rebuilt my 6.8 coyote rifle with a 15" Midwest lightweight mlok recently. I like it thus far. No issues putting my Arisaka light mount or bipod mount on it. Mlok is pretty idiot proof to me.

With hardware the Midwest is only like an ounce heavier than the kmr and they're roughly the same dimensions. I like the looks of the kmr but personally it came down to fact I didn't feel like I was getting $75 more utility out of the kmr over the Midwest mlok.

Take out the price difference and from a functional/ mechanical perspective it's a toss up to me.

Eta

And Midwest is making adapters for both directions so whichever you pick you have access to all accessories
    Last edited by nova3930; 01-27-15 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    I handled ALG's new free float system in MLOK on a rifle all done up for the mall ninja crowd and I was pretty impressed, I have a PWS Rail on my one rifle now that I was going to swap out for the KMR, but MLOK seems like a decent alternative and I really liked that ALG rail
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    as an admitted Vtor and magpul fanboy i will be using keymod at least until a clear victor establishes the bulk of the market. that being said Mlok seams to be cheaper to produce if not quite as precise.

Feedback Score
    From what I've read (mostly on the MAGPUL site) Mlock was specifically designed for plastic rails. Magpul claimed that they didn't get the performance they wanted out of Keymod when they tried it in molded plastic. They also claim that the simpler and easier to produce MLOCK is cheaper than the KEYMOD. Bill Giesselle had some good things to say about MLOCK at one of the shot shows and he offers both Keymod and Mlock. To added to the mix AAC is suposedly working on a keymod compatable version. I think it's called squaredrop.

Feedback Score
    I saw IWC's new KML accessory nuts at SHOT Show, which will make the decision easier. With a specially lugged base, KML nuts allow an accessory to meet the actual design specs of both KeyMod and MLOK. You just need to flip the nuts to get one standard or the other.

They were on Elzetta's new Mini CQB, though I have been told that the KML nuts will be sold wholesale by IWC. If the price is right, I think a lot of new accessories will be coming out with the KML system for mounting.
    aka, "TWANGnBANG"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    I saw IWC's new KML accessory nuts at SHOT Show, which will make the decision easier. With a specially lugged base, KML nuts allow an accessory to meet the actual design specs of both KeyMod and MLOK. You just need to flip the nuts to get one standard or the other.
    Universal accessories without secondary adapters would be fantastic.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast