Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chopping a barrel

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    The Sionics is .071 and from the ones I had owned I agree it is too large for a dedicated suppressed gun. Especially on a 11.5 car barrel. It wasn't made to be a suppressed only barrel.

I prefer the .0625 and less on the 10.5ish barrels for suppressed use and still MAY be able to function without a can pending your ammo, buffer and spring choice. .058 if you can get there for suppressed use is a good spot. A5H2 and Colt spring.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I did a clean sheet build on a lightweight 11.5 mid-length for suppressed only. Barrel was 17 oz, which is ~4-5oz lighter than a government 11.5".

I think my only "issue" is that I used an adjustable gas block whereas something like a fixed BRT port would mean less moving parts. No issues or failures with the gas block and it doesn't keep me up at night. Just not quite bomb-proof as a "dumb" gas block. I pinned it though, so I am gonna leave well enough alone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Pistol gas?
    Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. Carbine gas, thread-on suppressor that hasn't left the muzzle since day one.

Feedback Score
    What base barrel, ammunition, and silencer?

Feedback Score
    This drawing will give you a good idea of what cuts to a 16.1 barrel will look like when finished. There will be about 0.120 of the M203 cut at 11.5 inches.

Barrel Length-Model.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    What base barrel, ammunition, and silencer?
    Me? Faxon Firearms 10.5" pencil barrel with a MicroMOA Baby Govnah gas block drilled to 0.047", XM193, and Griffin Armament Spartan 3. I've also used several different buffers and they've all worked fine.

Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with that can and do not use that type of orifice to control gas. Assuming a base barrel with a standard M16 chamber, throat, bore, US issue M193 as a base to compare to. That porting size, if done in the base barrel, falls below an acceptable level for a porting size on that for most when colder and normalized, with fouling. It is possible that the mentioned silencer has that much higher pressure reversion, but that direction is not one that most would prefer.
    What buffers/ springs did you use down to what temperatures in a fouled example?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234