Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine...musings about the possibilities...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

M1 Carbine...musings about the possibilities...

Why doesn't anyone offer an M1 carbine with a 14.5" barrel and per attach flash hider?

Why doesn't someone offer an ultra light fiberglass stock?

What about a comeback of the 5.7 Johnson? It should perform quite a bit better than a 5.7x28.

I sure wish the HEZI SM-1 bullpup conversion of the M1 carbine had taken off.

Just thinking out loud.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Choate Machine and Tool has a light weight nylon polymer folding stock, telescoping stock, pistol gripped standard stock, and even a ventilated handguard.

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/9
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Why doesn't anyone offer an M1 carbine with a 14.5" barrel and per attach flash hider?

Why doesn't someone offer an ultra light fiberglass stock?

What about a comeback of the 5.7 Johnson? It should perform quite a bit better than a 5.7x28.

I sure wish the HEZI SM-1 bullpup conversion of the M1 carbine had taken off.

Just thinking out loud.
    Because there is little profit to be made and ARs do everything better without a bunch of boutique parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Once a company invested in tooling, materials, etc., to manufacture the barrel who would buy a M1 Carbine with a flash hider? How many would they sell?

What stock would sell better than a replica Paratrooper stock?

What niche would the 5.7 Johnson fill that can't be filled with other calibers? IAI made them for a while, but they did not sell well enough to continue producing them.

An original configuration M1 Carbine is desirable to most people who are interested in the carbines. If someone wanted a lighter faster round, they would buy a different carbine in .223 Remington or .22 Magnum.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow!! Spoli sport kill joys!!

It's not a literal tell me why, it is a musing about hmm what if. Gosh Tina!! I'm gonna go practice my Bo staff!!

(Napolean Dynamite, anyone?)

TED

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Because there is little profit to be made and ARs do everything better without a bunch of boutique parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything except weight and envelope size. I've always felt a chopped M1 Carbine with a decent collapsible & folding stock in a hotter chambering would make for a great little HD & truck gun, especially for smaller statured shooters.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A folding stock M1 might be a little shorter but not going to be much lighter than one of these:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...uple-questions

Many tend to forget the light handy rifles the M16/SP1 and XM177/CAR15 were before they morphed into the pigs they are today. What you propose might have made sense when you could get Carbines for half or less than a AR but today good serviceable M1's are expensive, modding them will be expensive, ergonomics are not as good, power is not as good, mags are not as good and AR's just make more sense. Instead of chopping up a Carbine to make a poor substitute for a CAR I would enjoy it for what it is a fun piece of history like the Garand, still effective within it limitations but outclassed by more modern designs.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The M1 carbine makes a lot of sense with an 18" barrel, walnut stock, Ultimak with AP Micro, and WML for those living in ban states who don't want to deal with neutered ARs.

The trouble is that, as far as I can tell, modern production M1s - and even old military M1s - simply are not that reliable.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real unaltered m1 carbines are no longer readily available. Butchering one to accommodate your configuration would be criminal. However, newly manufactured ones like the old iver Johnson's would be fair game. All of the m1 type rifles and carbines are not ideal for optics. Something your configuration would beg for is a red dot. 30 m1 carbine with good hollow points is respectable.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The M1 carbine makes a lot of sense with an 18" barrel, walnut stock, Ultimak with AP Micro, and WML for those living in ban states who don't want to deal with neutered ARs.

The trouble is that, as far as I can tell, modern production M1s - and even old military M1s - simply are not that reliable.
    I had a milsurp Inland that was 100% reliable, once I changed out all the springs with a Wolff kit. I really didn't need it, but $157 through the SO with 3 mags was impossible to pass up. The neighbors kids LOVED shooting it when they were youngsters.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast