Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine...musings about the possibilities...

Feedback Score
    I have 3 M1 Carbines - from bottom to top, a Rock-Ola, National Postal Meter and an Inland. The NPM appears to have all original parts except for the rear sight and the stock was refinished. The other two are typical mix-masters after post WWIII re-build. All three fire flawlessly - have never had a malfunction with any of them.

According to the last Garand Collector's Association journal, it appears that a substantial number of them are en-route from Korea to the CMP so there should be a bunch hitting the market in the coming year or so.

Carbines.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The M1 carbine makes a lot of sense with an 18" barrel, walnut stock, Ultimak with AP Micro, and WML for those living in ban states who don't want to deal with neutered ARs.

The trouble is that, as far as I can tell, modern production M1s - and even old military M1s - simply are not that reliable.
    Milsurps were but commercial were always 50/50. Some very early commercial carbines used mostly USGI parts and we're pretty good but as parts dried up quality went down. Kinda like with the M14/M1A1

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I stand corrected.

Somebody should let Karl and Ian play with their reliable M1 carbine.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I stand corrected.

Somebody should let Karl and Ian play with their reliable M1 carbine.

I had the exact same experience shooting the CMP short course with a surplus Inland the way he did when he only got a bronze, which is to say multiple failures to feed during the rapid fire string. I still managed to place 2nd overall out of 22 shooters in spite of the malfs, just managing to get all my rounds downrange before the targets turned. Oh, and I was the only one not shooting a Garand!

As I stated, I swapped out every spring in the 60 year old gun AND magazines with current production Wollf springs and never suffered another malf again. Problem solved. I simply wouldn't purchase a reproduction carbine, period.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Privacy edit
    Last edited by bltzkrg; 01-31-19 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Years ago it was popular to chop the barrel and install an l1a1 flash suppressor. Ugly then and ugly now. The carbine is a beautiful and fun gun. Just the way they are!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12