Thread: Benelli Supernova Tactical to Benelli M4

Feedback Score

Benelli Supernova Tactical to Benelli M4

I've had a Benelli Supernova Tactical for a few years that I'd never got around to shooting. I finally took it to the range the other day and my wife and I both really enjoyed it. The only real complaints were the long length of pull and what I'd consider fairly high recoil (shooting 00 buckshot). I started looking around for adjustable stocks or shorter stocks and found the adjustable stock was quite expensive ($250 or so) and then would require US parts for 922(r) compliance.

Fast forward a couple of days and I stopped by a LGS to look around. I was really wanting to handle a LWRC DI and a Bren. They had both so I checked them out. I also asked if they had any semi-auto Benellis. The guy behind the counter said that they didn't, but he knew of another shop that was selling a used Benelli M4 for $1200. I know new prices are a good bit more than that so I reached out to the gunshop, and the owner sent me a few pics. The gun also had the 7 round tube installed and the extra US made parts to make it 922(r) compliant.

That seemed like a pretty good deal so I went ahead and ordered it and am having it shipped to a local FFL since I didn't have time to go to the local shop. Assuming it's in good condition as the pics show, how'd I do? I think the recoil should be a bit softer on the M4 and the Mesa Tactical stock looks like it might fit the bill for a shorter LOP. The Benelli collapsible stock looks really nice, and I still might get it, but it's $250 and would require me changing out at least one trigger component for 922(r) since the follower, magazine body, and handguards are already US-made.

The primary use of the gun is home defense and general range use. I know that the guns might not be "worth" the new price, but for that price used I figured it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by albatros43; 11-14-17 at 05:14.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatros43 View Post
    I've had a Benelli Supernova Tactical for a few years that I'd never got around to shooting. I finally took it to the range the other day and my wife and I both really enjoyed it. The only real complaints were the long length of pull and what I'd consider fairly high recoil (shooting 00 buckshot). I started looking around for adjustable stocks or shorter stocks and found the adjustable stock was quite expensive ($250 or so) and then would require US parts for 922(r) compliance.

Fast forward a couple of days and I stopped by a LGS to look around. I was really wanting to handle a LWRC DI and a Bren. They had both so I checked them out. I also asked if they had any semi-auto Benellis. The guy behind the counter said that they didn't, but he knew of another shop that was selling a used Benelli M4 for $1200. I know new prices are a good bit more than that so I reached out to the gunshop, and the owner sent me a few pics. The gun also had the 7 round tube installed and the extra US made parts to make it 922(r) compliant.

That seemed like a pretty good deal so I went ahead and ordered it and am having it shipped to a local FFL since I didn't have time to go to the local shop. Assuming it's in good condition as the pics show, how'd I do? I think the recoil should be a bit softer on the M4 and the Mesa Tactical stock looks like it might fit the bill for a shorter LOP. The Benelli collapsible stock looks really nice, and I still might get it, but it's $250 and would require me changing out at least one trigger component for 922(r) since the follower, magazine body, and handguards are already US-made.

The primary use of the gun is home defense and general range use. I know that the guns might not be "worth" the new price, but for that price used I figured it was worth a shot.
    Price wise I think you did well. I have an M4 almost exactly as you describe, and I have significantly more than $1200 into it.

I wouldn't consider an M4, or any Benelli a soft shooter, but its not bad. If you want to change out a trigger component for 922r compliance, the hammer is easy to change, I went with the Geissele, but FFT is also an option. It is a fun gun to shoot, even though I don't shoot it very often. People always ask me to bring it when we take trips to the range, and they shoot it more than I do.
    Last edited by firefighter37; 11-14-17 at 05:52.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter37 View Post
    Price wise I think you did well. I have an M4 almost exactly as you describe, and I have significantly more than $1200 into it.

I wouldn't consider an M4, or any Benelli a soft shooter, but its not bad. If you want to change out a trigger component for 922r compliance, the hammer is easy to change, I went with the Geiselle, but FFT is also an option. It is a fun gun to shoot, even though I don't shoot it very often. People always ask me to bring it when we take trips to the range, and they shoot it more than I do.

Thanks for the reply. I'll checkout Geissele.

***Looks like the Geissele hammer is discontinued.
    Last edited by albatros43; 11-14-17 at 05:53.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    In 2012 I paid $1800 for my M4, and $500 for the Benelli Collapsible Stock.....

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    and another $150 for the tube...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatros43 View Post
    I've had a Benelli Supernova Tactical for a few years that I'd never got around to shooting. I finally took it to the range the other day and my wife and I both really enjoyed it. The only real complaints were the long length of pull and what I'd consider fairly high recoil (shooting 00 buckshot). I started looking around for adjustable stocks or shorter stocks and found the adjustable stock was quite expensive ($250 or so) and then would require US parts for 922(r) compliance. Same story with the M4, identical LOP.

That seemed like a pretty good deal so I went ahead and ordered it and am having it shipped to a local FFL since I didn't have time to go to the local shop. Assuming it's in good condition as the pics show, how'd I do? I think the recoil should be a bit softer on the M4 and the Mesa Tactical stock looks like it might fit the bill for a shorter LOP. The Benelli collapsible stock looks really nice, and I still might get it, but it's $250 and would require me changing out at least one trigger component for 922(r) since the follower, magazine body, and handguards are already US-made. Whatever you do, get a Limbsaver recoil pad. It will lower recoil perception. The C-stock requires some cutting and the Noveske adapater to run a Limbsaver.

I owned both until I sold the M4 and bought an M4SBS last week.

Throw a limbsaver on your SNT. It will make the LOP slightly less and really numbs the recoil up.