Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Shooter, Night Force Scope??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    First things first, where did you find the T3 Arctic Ranger? I crave that gun. Are you not in the US?

Anyway, the NSX 1-4x is a great optic, and the FC-3G reticle is great, but I find them more at home on 14.5 and under 5.56 guns and similar, due to what they excel in and their applicable range band.

For that rifle and the most likely use, I'd lean toward a 2.5-10x.
    I'm Actually in Canada.

I got mine in Cabelas.

https://www. cabelas.ca/product/87880/tikka-t3x-arctic-stainless-bolt-action-rifle

But they are expensive up here. About $2800 + 13% Sales tax in my province.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dale.gribble View Post
    I'm Actually in Canada.

I got mine in Cabelas.

https://www. cabelas.ca/product/87880/tikka-t3x-arctic-stainless-bolt-action-rifle

But they are expensive up here. About $2800 + 13% Sales tax in my province.
    I see that Canadian Cabelas follows the same price structure as the US ones, hahaha.

https://www.lockharttactical.com/rec...kka-t3x-arctic

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Being more of a bolt gun shooter than an AR shooter... I'd definitely recommend going much higher in magnification. You're running a .308 which down the line should circumstances allow... can get you to 1000 (750-850 more accurately).

Not just in terms of shooting, but also in spotting your misses, spotting for others.

Feedback Score
    If you're not carrying a spotter, which if you're shooting solo you shouldn't, you need to crank magnification up enough to pick up mirage. This greatly aids your wind reading ability. You can't do that with a 1-4, 1-6, or even 1-8x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    That said, the NF 1-4x is the worst scope I have ever owned. It is a total piece of crap. Do yourself a favor and buy something else. The main problem is how bad the glass fisheyes and is distorted, but everyone elses' low power variables have better knobs and are more ergonomic too. It is so bad I actually sent it back thinking it was defective and NF returned it to me saying that's how they're supposed to be.
    To be fair, I see very little barrel distortion if my eye is aligned with the optical axis of the scope. Once I move off axis, the distortion is severe. This scope has a pretty generous eyebox for a LPVO, so it's easy to get an off-axis view. The reticle remains unaffected however you look at it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    I am a huge fan of NF. On bolt guns, I shot f-class and NRA prone with their 42x benchrest model and it was fantastic. I currently run the NF 35x ATACR on my PRS ELR rifle and it is maybe the best scope money can buy today. I will soon sell both my vortex gen2 27x and buy more NF 35x. (I previously had 3x S&B PM2 25x that I replaced with the vortex on my PRS rifles)

That said, the NF 1-4x is the worst scope I have ever owned. It is a total piece of crap. Do yourself a favor and buy something else. The main problem is how bad the glass fisheyes and is distorted, but everyone elses' low power variables have better knobs and are more ergonomic too. It is so bad I actually sent it back thinking it was defective and NF returned it to me saying that's how they're supposed to be.

On ARs, my experience is a bit dated. I ran the 1-6x vortex HD and the swaro 1-6x and the USO 1-8x and absolutely loved all three. There may be something later and greater out.

as for 500 yards, shooting a 10" plate with a 4x acog at 500 yards with an AR15 is easy As long as you have fresh paint. for precision shooting, or if your target is brown on a brown background, or if you need to identify your target or count antlers or something, I'd want more mag.

Your experience isn't that outdated, the players in the 1-6 or 8X are still the same. The 1-6X Vortex was a better scope than my USO 1-6x, brighter, cleaner optics at all mag., and better coatings, same weight, same money.

The Kahles 1-6X is prob. the "nicest" lpv, excellent optics, bright, and lighter in weight, weight was the the problem I had w the Vortex.

The USO 1-8X is still #2 compared w the Leupold Mk8 w the H59, no other way around it. The glass, the reticle, and even Leopold service is better than USOSOSLOW. I had 8 of them, they are all a distant bad memory.

If you have to have a red dot, look at the new S&Bs, there is a 1-8X that will work for you.

Best bang in the lpv market is the little Steiner 1-4x for $500 and some change.

Steiner's M5X 1-5x is amazing, but pricey at $2500+.

Bought my NF 2.5-10X42mm on sale, around $1700, decent glass, small footprint, not too heavy, put it on a LPR. Didn't want to put on a 30+ ounce scope. Had the Leopold Mk6 3-18X on it, weight/footprint was fine, mine wouldn't track (and, 18x was a stretch, really a 3-15X...).

Regarding the NF 1-4x, optically not the world's best lpv, but I scored mine new for less than $1000, capped turrets (why you would be spinning knobs on a 1-4x , I don't know...), rotary illumination switch and I've never had one go down, unlike my USOs.

Yes, I'm waiting (Ha!) for NF to come out w a 1-8X, less than 30 ounces, 30/34mm tube doesn't matter, less than $3k.

A guy can dream.

It's the weight/size v. price game. I hate a top heavy .223 rifle (not talking bench rifles) so Kahles for 1-6x, Leupold for 1-8X (think SR-25), NF for 2.5-10x on an LPR...

Op, Good Luck.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been shooting a NF 2.5-10x42 MOAR reticle on a LMT MWS and then switched it to a Rem 700 5R with a 20" barrel. I really like this scope a lot. Pairing it with your rifle would be a hard to beat combination. It's compact, relatively light weight and easily cover your needs out to 600 meters.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    Thanks for asking; I still like it quite a bit however I've hardly had time to run it. That ATACR would be a sweet scope if I ever got into bolt actions... argh I need to stop hanging out at SH.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    If we follow the trend, you'll buy it off me in a while. Haha!

Feedback Score
    NF scopes were the only ones we had that never broke. We have a lot of great scopes available today, but every brand had a scope go down at one time or the other. But NF never did, including mine getting run over by a jeep. Don't ask, it wasn't my fault. Just one of my lads got lazy for a second and out went my mid range sniping rifle with it's NF scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bygezu View Post
    Hi! What can you say about smart HD rifle scopes? For example about ATN? I found some good scopes https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight it is X-SIGHT II HD SERIES, price $599. Characteristics and possibilities are impressive. Someone tried it?
    They are gimmicks. They are fragile and don't really offer much. You get what you pay for. At $599 and more tech than a $4k German scope, there is obviously some corners cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast