Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bill Passed: tracking device in medication

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You forget that I too am a physician.
    Of course I didn't forget. I'm sorry for the confusion, when I was referring to peers I was referring to Psychiatrists. I just wanted to opine that having a tracker in a pill seems like a solution in search of a problem, as you did allude to in your post.... and to add to my previous post, I don't think it's helpful putting a tracker in medication prescribed for patients with persecutory delusions.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    So if someone is a danger to society off their meds should we just send thoughts and prayers that they keep taking them? What’s the alternative? Lock them up in a mental hospital on the states dime? Seems like this would be a much more efficient solution that has absolutely nothing to do with tracking guns.
    Who said anything about thoughts and prayers?

If someone is a danger to society (what ever their excuse is) why are said dangerous individuals permitted to be in that society?

Never said this issue has to do with guns, I used an analogy where this tech can be used. If you don't like that please explain why I should care?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That’s a bit of a leap. And it is a potential issue regardless of whether we utilize a tracker to ensure schizophrenics take their meds.
    When any governmental entity or government funded entity has the capabilities to track human beings via an ingested vessel there is room for abuse.

The tech is here, it's been here, it's not going anywhere however none of that changes the proverbial writing on the wall.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Who said anything about thoughts and prayers?

If someone is a danger to society (what ever their excuse is) why are said dangerous individuals permitted to be in that society?

Never said this issue has to do with guns, I used an analogy where this tech can be used. If you don't like that please explain why I should care?
    They have the tech to track your guns, it’s not implemented because it would never happen. The uproar would be immense. A simple registration is a complete non starter so I’m not sure how you think this would be a realistic threat.

If this technology could help someone lead a perfectly normal life and the only other reasonable option would be involuntarily commit them it seems like a no brainer to me. Lower tax burden and people get to live more normal lives. If your only reason for opposing this is that they might track your guns then that is rather silly.
    Last edited by skywalkrNCSU; 11-17-17 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They have the tech to track your guns, it’s not implemented because it would never happen. The uproar would be immense.
    Nothing happens until it does. I'm not an optimist for a reason.

If this technology could help someone lead a perfectly normal life and the only other reasonable option would be involuntarily commit them it seems like a no brainer to me. Lower tax burden and people get to live more normal lives. If your only reason for opposing this is that they might track your guns then that is rather silly.
    Tracking firearms can very well happen as you noted the tech is already here. Our .gov already monitors / tracks to a large degree every cell/email/txt. In the name of national security and the public safety what's next?

And of course this doesn't even begin to address the civil rights issues and the intrusion into a person's liberty and privacy. Why should someone with a medical condition not have the expectation of privacy? If's it's schizophrenics today who will it be tomorrow? Where does it end? Life is inherently dangerous, we don't need a government watch dog on everything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When any governmental entity or government funded entity has the capabilities to track human beings via an ingested vessel there is room for abuse.

The tech is here, it's been here, it's not going anywhere however none of that changes the proverbial writing on the wall.
    It’s not tracking human beings. The tracker will be passed through the gut and into the toilet bowl. It’s logging that the medication was taken - tracking medication compliance.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-17-17 at 19:40.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    How are the patients with schizophrenia going to react to this?
    the problem with paranoia doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It’s not tracking human beings. The tracker will be passed through the gut and into the toilet bowl. It’s logging that the medication was taken - tracking medication compliance.
    As an MD you can answer this better than most, but how long does something like this stay in the system before being passed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As an MD you can answer this better than most, but how long does something like this stay in the system before being passed?
    Depends upon individual gut transit time. Likely no more than a day and it’s out.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Depends upon individual gut transit time. Likely no more than a day and it’s out.
    I heard they activate, migrate up, and end up in your cornea. As a little mechanical looking worm. Yeah, and they can read your optic nerve and report what you are seeing!! I saw this on some documentary on TV. Falling Skies, or something like that.

I have a cousin who when off his meds has been dangerous crazy. Taking orders from his alarm clock from the Mossad, booked a flight to Israel. Harassed a lady in boarding, got arrested at JFK and sent home. Did it again a week later, made it to Israel, reported in for duty at passport control. Detained, arrested, my Aunt had to go there and get him released.

Scary crazy, late threw boiling water on his mom at 3AM, few months later threw all his possessions including clothes away, ran off, was found out of gas, naked and raving way upstate.

Dozens of horrible situations.

Yet is normal as can be on his meds. And wants to be normal/fixed.

There is so much societal pressure to not take medicine (pick your poison), that his story is not unique.

So while legit concern about privacy impacts are good, I could see some cases where this tech could be helpful and justified.

Besides, anyone who carries a cellphone is way more tracked, monitored, and sold than this tech could ever do. Especially a smartphone.

At least Europeans tell you they are tracking you. WiFi and Bluetooth tracking in airports, etc. Even if not connected.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast