Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Passed: tracking device in medication

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    If it linked to a smart phone then they basically can track you as long as the phone is functioning.
    Bigtime. And no real expedient way to remove the battery. One could perhaps keep it in a small Faraday cage, like say a .30 cal ammo can
    Last edited by HD1911; 11-15-17 at 09:41.

Feedback Score
    Isn’t this a good thing? I have a cousin with severe mental health issues and he is very normal when he takes his medication but he regularly stops because he doesn’t like the side effects and he feels fine (thanks to the medication). Then he goes off his rocker and has been thrown in jail multiple times due to a lack of mental health facilities. This type of technology could help prevent things from getting to that level. In this day and age of mentally ill people shooting up places we should be glad that technology can help keep people from going nuts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    They are trying to get an opinion from those patients with multiple personalities, so far none of them can come to an agreement.
    Now that is funny.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    If it linked to a smart phone then they basically can track you as long as the phone is functioning.
    And as long as the connection is allowed by the phone’s user, as long as they decide to actually wear the patch, and as long as they agree to take the version of Abilify with the sensor in it.

Last edited by Hmac; 11-15-17 at 09:09.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is tinfoil traded as a commodity? Off to Google...
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Bill Passed: tracking device in medication

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    Isn’t this a good thing? I have a cousin with severe mental health issues and he is very normal when he takes his medication but he regularly stops because he doesn’t like the side effects and he feels fine (thanks to the medication). Then he goes off his rocker and has been thrown in jail multiple times due to a lack of mental health facilities. This type of technology could help prevent things from getting to that level. In this day and age of mentally ill people shooting up places we should be glad that technology can help keep people from going nuts.
    I think they’ve had some mixed reviews on the sensor Sky. Sometimes it takes up to two hours for the sensor to detect the meds, sometimes it doesn’t at all. But I believe the optimal test cases are those patients with violent tendencies when they don’t take their meds.g
    Part of me sees this as invasive, chip in the hand or head deal and part of me wants these folks with these mental issues who can be helped through medication to have access to tools or technology that can help them.

There is also the medication itself. The side effects and risks are fairly strong. (As would seem logical considering the issue at hand.)

There is a Japanese company that makes the medication and and the Proteus company does the small chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 11-15-17 at 09:39.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Isn’t this a good thing?
    Like most technologies, it all depends how it is used. Nuclear energy - nervous system poisons* - firearms - psychoactive meds - digital tracking of human activities, all can be used for good or bad. (* since it may not be obvious, most insecticides are chemically similar to nerve agents, and the balance are mostly extremely toxic nicotine based agents.)

The benefits are obvious, but the likely abuses are equally obvious. The problem is not the technology itself, the problem is people.

I have a cousin with severe mental health issues and he is very normal when he takes his medication but he regularly stops because he doesn’t like the side effects and he feels fine (thanks to the medication). Then he goes off his rocker and has been thrown in jail multiple times due to a lack of mental health facilities. This type of technology could help prevent things from getting to that level. In this day and age of mentally ill people shooting up places we should be glad that technology can help keep people from going nuts.
    Had a very elderly relative who needed some kind of medication (dementia related) or else she was nonfunctional. This would have been useful for her treatment.

But it takes no imagination to see a day, maybe 20 years from now, when constant medication is mandatory. Did you see the movie "Equilibrium"?
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 11-15-17 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    Oh I totally get how this could be used for evil, I just don’t think that’s reason to dismiss it completely like a lot of the conspiracy theory lovers would right off the bat. If it works well it could be a godsend in so many instances.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So what happens when a patient doesn’t take their meds on time? Who is going to be held responsible for a patient going off meds and then say shooting up a school? Will the doctor whose overworked nursing staff forgot to check the web portal be sued into oblivion? Will the sensor monitoring company?

Let’s say, unlike the USAF, everyone does their job in a timely manner. Web portal goes beep beep. Now what? Call patient, call relatives, call cops what.

I can see some benefit to this, but I see an even bigger push for more take to and call me in the morning dismissals. IMO, we already have a huge issue with symptom chasing vs root cause treatment. This will actually encourage it even more.

It’s interesting tech, but I’d like to see the actual long term implementation strategy that goes along with it.

Feedback Score
    So now you have to take a pill to jam the tracking device.

Simple.

Carry on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast