Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Passed: tracking device in medication

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    So what happens when a patient doesn’t take their meds on time? Who is going to be held responsible for a patient going off meds and then say shooting up a school? Will the doctor whose overworked nursing staff forgot to check the web portal be sued into oblivion? Will the sensor monitoring company?

Let’s say, unlike the USAF, everyone does their job in a timely manner. Web portal goes beep beep. Now what? Call patient, call relatives, call cops what.

I can see some benefit to this, but I see an even bigger push for more take to and call me in the morning dismissals. IMO, we already have a huge issue with symptom chasing vs root cause treatment. This will actually encourage it even more.

It’s interesting tech, but I’d like to see the actual long term implementation strategy that goes along with it.
    Trained home health professionals would be my guess, unless the dosing was part of a court ordered treatment plan, then it should be P.O. types with specific medical training. Street cops are already overburdened with mental health calls because MHT in America is complete crap.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With all the crazy ass sons o' bitches out here I am just SO SURE they have the manpower and resources to enforce this. I bet they'll even work in shifts

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Bill Passed: tracking device in medication

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Trained home health professionals would be my guess, unless the dosing was part of a court ordered treatment plan, then it should be P.O. types with specific medical training. Street cops are already overburdened with mental health calls because MHT in America is complete crap.
    I think this is likely. I also could see some automation potentially involved.

Auto-text from the doc or caregiver, even an automated phone call. Like those lame recordings from the VA for appointment reminders.
    “Hi, this is the VA Regional Medical Center calling to remind the patient, Robert to take your prescribed medication blah blah blah.”

Maybe not optimal but it could handle the potential volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The movie Inception comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With all the crazy ass sons o' bitches out here I am just SO SURE they have the manpower and resources to enforce this. I bet they'll even work in shifts
    This is going to be just like Gun Control Laws in California.
    Let's throw a bunch of freedom killing totally unenforceable laws out there with the idea that Laws stop crazy people from doing crazy stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    They are trying to get an opinion from those patients with multiple personalities, so far none of them can come to an agreement.
    need a like button

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    What do I think?

I think Orwell, Bradbury, Huxley, Rand, et al. were right.
    Tyrants (current, would-be, wannabe, and soon-to-be) are using their books as instruction manuals.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow. That is insane.

I have an old buddy who went schizophrenic. Truly bat shit nuts. I feel bad for him, he had to get electro shock therepy, and he has been so heavily medicated for the past decade that he is just a slow, dumb, slugish lethargic person. But the thing is, when he doesn't take his meds, he starts thinking he is god and that he can read peoples mind and shit. He knows he is better off with the meds. Regardless, and I don't big brother has a right to mandate him taking meds. If the guy wants to be a loon, that is his right, the government does not have a right to step in unless the individual is a real danger to society.

Overall I think it's pretty messed up. Yes it sucks that people are completely bat shit nuts, but it is even worse that our government can decide who is crazy and who is not, and that whoever they say is crazy has to take '' pills ''.

Think about it, what if some left wing anti gunner as assigned to determine if you were crazy or not, and they found out you were a right wing gun nut...
    I don't trust psychologists at all. I have a family member who has a medical PHD. He does not practice mental health, but to get where he is now he had to work and or study in mental health for a while. The things he told me about how mental health is practiced are pretty horrifying. Lots of psudo science 1984 type shit.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    The movie Inception comes to mind.
    For me, all this crap going on reminds me of Minority report.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Wow. That is insane.

I have an old buddy who went schizophrenic. Truly bat shit nuts. I feel bad for him, he had to get electro shock therepy, and he has been so heavily medicated for the past decade that he is just a slow, dumb, slugish lethargic person. But the thing is, when he doesn't take his meds, he starts thinking he is god and that he can read peoples mind and shit. He knows he is better off with the meds. Regardless, and I don't big brother has a right to mandate him taking meds. If the guy wants to be a loon, that is his right, the government does not have a right to step in unless the individual is a real danger to society.

Overall I think it's pretty messed up. Yes it sucks that people are completely bat shit nuts, but it is even worse that our government can decide who is crazy and who is not, and that whoever they say is crazy has to take '' pills ''.

Think about it, what if some left wing anti gunner as assigned to determine if you were crazy or not, and they found out you were a right wing gun nut...
    I don't trust psychologists at all. I have a family member who has a medical PHD. He does not practice mental health, but to get where he is now he had to work and or study in mental health for a while. The things he told me about how mental health is practiced are pretty horrifying. Lots of psudo science 1984 type shit.
    The “government” can’t step in unless he is a danger to himself or others. And it’s not “the government” that is diagnosing him as crazy, it’s his doctors. And psychologists don’t prescribe medications...not licensed to do so. And...what’s a “medical PhD”?
    Last edited by Hmac; 11-15-17 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    I think this will be a big flop. Also, there was no bill passed to allow this, the FDA approved it. Just like they approve medications or testing equipment.

Getting a non-compliant schizophrenic to adhere to a plan consisting of taking a pill every day is very difficult.
    Abilify MYCITE adds to this daily pill swallowing procedure the following: Own and maintain a smartphone, wear a MYCITE patch 24/7 on the body that sweats off, commonly causes rash(12.7%), is otherwise generally annoying, and use the app correctly.
    It also is not reliable, pills can take hours to register as being swallowed, and can even be duds...leading the user to think they forgot to take a dose and then they take a second dose.
    I didn't read anywhere about anything tracking blood concentration of abilify. Mainly the sensor in the pill tells the patch that it has hit stomach acid. The patch/smartphone can track other data and send it via the app to the doctor. Who knows what.
    Then the billion dollar question, is insurance (medicaid) going to pay for this elaborate system. Will doctors embrace(read:get paid) for it, as it will lead to extra work for them and their staff such as tracking this data, registering with the portal, training staff on using the portal and the protocols, responding to missed doses, submitting prior authorization to insurance, educate the patient about the program ect ect.
    Can the system be easily fooled by someone who wants to do that? Such as not take any doses, but the app says you are johnny compliant? I would guess the answer is yes.

After all of this, will it actually help compliance? Or will it simply steal time and money away from where it could be better used. I bet the latter.

http://www.proteus.com/press-release...bilify-mycite/
    https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm584933.htm
    https://www.otsuka-us.com/media/stat...E-MEDGUIDE.pdf

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast