Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clone of the original

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Clone of the original

New to 1911's. Never owned, never shot, always wanted one. With my father's 50th birthday coming up, I now have an excuse. I want to get my father a 1911 for his 50th.

I want to give him an original colt m1911, but don't want to pay the price tag for it, as well as the tuning and work necessary to make it a bit more modern.

What I want to do is give him a 1911 that looks like it's from the year 1911. Only differences would be that the mechanics would be tuned, springs improved, and cerakote the color rather than parkerize or blue. Government size, single stack .45 acp naturally.

I have absolutely no idea where to start on this, or where to find parts that look original. Your infinite wisdom would be most appreciated.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What's your budget? A Colt Series 70 retro would be a great choice IMO.

Feedback Score
    Do a search using the words "COLT" and "1918" (not a "1911A1"). Then look for the latest ones made a few years ago. I just looked on "Gunbroker.com" and there was one for $2500 for sale.

Feedback Score
    From a functional standpoint a type colt is very likely to need nothing to run just fine a series 70 reproduction or even 1991series gun should do fine. I attended Larry vickers 1911 operator class with a box stock colt 1911 World War One reproduction tiny sights and all and it ran perfectly. Most of the modern upgrades in hammers beaver tails and such depart from the classic look the internal guts really have not changed in 100+ years

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnfulKing View Post
    What I want to do is give him a 1911 that looks like it's from the year 1911.
    The closest "newly" manufactured 1911/1911 you're likely to find, if you can find one...

Cylinder and Slide 100th Anniversary Limited Edition

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproductionphotos.shtml
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Checked out both the reproduction and 1918. Definitely like both, although I lean more towards the 1918 because of the markings.

I also saw "part guns" while looking at the 1918's. Would it reasonable to buy one of these for far less money, then repair/replace the necessary pieces?

The cylinder slide is nice, real nice. But that looks like it would be a huge investment up front.
    Last edited by SnfulKing; 11-16-17 at 08:05.

Feedback Score
    From your description in Post#1, I recommend budgeting $3000 and you may have enough for some ammo to include with your father's gift. Otherwise, I recommend not going the 1911 route for what you want.

You can also compromise on your wants and get a 1911A1-style currently offered, perhaps with the modern touches of beavertails, sights, ejection ports, finishes, safeties, markings, and anything else which goes with a specific 1911-platform gun.

Let us know what you decide to do. Buying a parts gun and contracting someone to do the work takes time (sometimes over a year), money (sometimes thousands), and knowing what you want. Right now, it doesn't seem as if you have time, money, or knowledge (of what you want, given the time & money constraints).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd be willing to budget 3000, it just seems tough all at once. If that is the only real option then, I may do what I do best. Build from the ground up. I have 3 years before his birthday, so I have plenty of time to get this done. Already knew I would need time for some of the work. I'll take a look around for original parts to use, and see if I can't incorporate those into a build. This should give me the opportunity to invest 3000 over time without breaking my immediate budget.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    The closest "newly" manufactured 1911/1911 you're likely to find, if you can find one...

Cylinder and Slide 100th Anniversary Limited Edition

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproductionphotos.shtml
    This is absolutely gorgeous

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SnfulKing View Post
    I'd be willing to budget 3000, it just seems tough all at once. If that is the only real option then, I may do what I do best. Build from the ground up. I have 3 years before his birthday, so I have plenty of time to get this done. Already knew I would need time for some of the work. I'll take a look around for original parts to use, and see if I can't incorporate those into a build. This should give me the opportunity to invest 3000 over time without breaking my immediate budget.
    If you do the work yourself you could stay within your budget but if you have the work done then probably not. Good professional 1911 'smiths are expensive and usually have long (and I mean real long) lead times for new projects. I would look for one of the run of Colt 1911 repros and go that route. It will look great and not break the bank.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 11-29-17 at 21:13.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast