Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

Feedback Score

palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

so palmetto state armory always has great deals on their rifles and ar pistols, lately whole rifles and pistols just a few hundred cheaper than a single bcm or daniel barrel. id like to know if their barrels are decent quality and will last a good amount of classes or atleast good enough to outperform me as a crappy shooter lol, so i can afford to take more classes to get better . they are 4150v steel, but are not chrome lined and just phosphate finished. i tried to find threads with reviews or peoples experiences with them, how the gas ports gassing perform ect ect. any input would be greatly appreciated. i know they are not bcm or daniel barrels, but i really just want a middle of the road plinker for classes so i can learn to be a better sportsman. local gunshop said they are made by FN too, but i doubt it, unless someone can confirm.

Feedback Score
    Just an FYI...this thread will probably fall apart pretty quickly. Maybe ending in a lock. You may want to pose the same question a few other places to get a more objective perspective.

With that being said, some of their barrels are apparently made by FN. I think it's their premium line. I'd probably skip the PTAC line. The Freedom line has been tested by a number of the YouTube gun channels. It made it through AKOU's 5,000 round torture test. IIRC, they were surprised how well it did in the portion where they shoot it while sifting sand into the action. You can find the whole video series pretty easily.

I don't know specific gas port sizes. From an over-gassed vs under-gassed perspective, they'll fall into the former category. PSA says they err on the larger side to accommodate a wider range of ammo.

My personal experience buying from PSA has been mostly ammo and mags. Never any issues with shipping or service. I did purchase a BCG a while back. When I broke it down to look things over something seemed off about the extractor spring. It didn't want to seat. I called them to alert them of the potential issue. I was wanting them to replace the whole extractor, just to be safe, but would have settled for a new spring and insert. Instead, they insisted on replacing the whole BCG. I was fine with that, and had a new one in my hands within a week. That one looked fine when breaking it down and has been trouble free. Maybe only 500-1000 rounds on it, so not a high round count by any means. Overall, the two I handled were nicely finished. No machining or tooling marks and carrier key staking is good. I'd have no problem buying another.

Battlefield Las Vegas is using PSA uppers and BCGs in some of their rentals, with much higher round counts, and have no noteable complaints. If you're up for it, they have a 30 page thread on ARFCOM discussing their experiences with components they've used, round counts, performance, etc.

Are they the cream of the crop? No. Are they even remotely as bad as you'll probably be told in this thread? No. Regardless, whatever you end up with, shoot it. Shoot it some more. And then draw your own opinions/conclusions. Expect to replace some parts if you actually put a decent number of rounds downrange. But that's to be expected with ARs in general. If you have problems, learn to troubleshoot. And, after all those classes, you'll have learned how you want your ideal rifle configured. Which is a good excuse to by another
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    snip...
    Last edited by Vegas; 11-18-17 at 00:46. Reason: removed, will save for my own thread

Feedback Score
    thanks guys, sorry about the mis-thread, thought technical thread was appropriate since i thought this was a technical type of question but good to know, and will do, think ill buy one, what do i have to lose i guess? if it starts to key hole early ill try my best to track the approximate number of rounds

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it's not chrome-lined, it's not an FN-made PSA barrel. Like another poster above me has said, this thread is probably going to devolve into a shit-show, but for what it's worth, the FN-made PSA barrels are good-to-great by most accounts. YMMV.

Edit:

To actually help guide you better, perhaps link the barrel you were interested in? Last I looked, you could get FN or Daniel Defense barrels off Midway for $189 new...
    Last edited by ^Rb; 11-16-17 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
    If it's not chrome-lined, it's not an FN-made PSA barrel. Like another poster above me has said, this thread is probably going to devolve into a shit-show, but for what it's worth, the FN-made PSA barrels are good-to-great by most accounts. YMMV.

Edit:

To actually help guide you better, perhaps link the barrel you were interested in? Last I looked, you could get FN or Daniel Defense barrels off Midway for $189 new...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/16-mi...el-m4-ext.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbytucson View Post
    thanks guys, sorry about the mis-thread, thought technical thread was appropriate since i thought this was a technical type of question but good to know, and will do, think ill buy one, what do i have to lose i guess? if it starts to key hole early ill try my best to track the approximate number of rounds
    No reason to apologize. Someone may come along with more specific info on the GP measurement and other data you're seeking. As far as keyholing goes, unless the barrel you receive is flat out defective or damaged, that's a pretty remote concern until you get into some seriously high round counts. Or if you sustain prolonged and frequent high rates of fire.

In general, "my rifle is keyholing" threads are very few and far between. As far as the 4150 steel, that's the common and desirable preference. Although, I personally think the 4140 vs 4150 is a bit overstated. It matters to a certain degree. But, with many applications, you'll probably never notice a difference.

Now, the non-lined, untreated aspect might warrant a bit of scrutiny. Ideally, at least having it melonited/nitrided would be preferred. It's not the end of the world to have an untreated barrel, but there are legitimate reasons to desire some form of treatment or lining.

So, are you thinking of piecing it together, or is the linked barrel only for identifying what you believe will come with a complete upper you've got your eye on? With PSA's prices on complete rifles, uppers and lowers, I'd be going that route.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Unless I missed something, please show us where this is an FN barrel.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Unless I missed something, please show us where this is an FN barrel.
    You missed something.
    This is NOT an FN barrel.
    Their premium line and CHF line are FN barrels and their Premium Carpenter 158 bolts are FN.
    I spoke with a PSA rep at the NRA show in Harrisburg and they are now making their own barrels. They are either melonited or phosphate only with no chrome lining or stainless.
    I'm personally not a fan of the PSA made barrels but I have had good results with their Premium and CHF (FN) barrels. We have PSA CHF barrels on our M-16s at work and they are quite accurate and have had zero issues.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not made by FN, not chrome lined, and usually when PSA lists the material as "Chrome Moly Steel" they mean 4140, not 4150V/CMV.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast