Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

Feedback Score
    I would assume what would pass for psa as acceptable wouldn’t pass standards for other like noveske. Used to service industrial air compressors and one location made brackets for all the major car brands and they all had diffferent requirements in materials and tolerances

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I would assume what would pass for psa as acceptable wouldn’t pass standards for other like noveske. Used to service industrial air compressors and one location made brackets for all the major car brands and they all had diffferent requirements in materials and tolerances
    Assumptions, eh.

The FACT is this: if one purchases an FN barrel, they are getting a high quality barrel, regardless of who sells it or the "assumed" specs.
    Last edited by phixion; 11-18-17 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    Not saying they are not good barrels but to say different manufacturers don’t have different requirements or standards is crazy. Aero as an example makes lowers for a lot of manufacturers and it is just as insane to say it’s all the same and just a roll Mark. FN I am sure makes barrels for a lot of company’s and each order isn’t the same. As for any subcontractor making similar parts for many companies , there are different specs and QC requirements. There is a real reason PSA products are cheap and FN products on this case are more expensive. They may have a contract for their barrels but doesn’t mean those barrels have the same specs or tight QC as a name brand FN barrel off their site.
    Last edited by zack991; 11-18-17 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

I bought a complete PSA Premium upper with CHF FN barrel about 5 years ago. I bought a stripped FN CHF barrel from righttobear a few weeks ago. The stated specifications from each vendor are the same as are the exterior profiles.

It is apparent that the machining done to profile the two barrels was not done to the same standard, but the differences aren't obvious to a novice. A rougher exterior surface in no way affects how the barrel purchased through PSA will work. What isn't known is the quality of the bore and associated chrome plating.

Even if the PSA sourced barrel's interior is also machined/plated to a slightly lower quality standard, the barrel as a whole is still of good enough quality for most users, including the OP. I use this upper as a loaner and range blaster. It has been completely reliable and shoots groups as well as my other better rifles.

Unfortunately, it would have been just as likely for it to have been a POS.
    Last edited by grizzman; 11-18-17 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    The linked barrel is an "okay" barrel, don't expect tack driving accuracy, but it should be usable for 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards with the average shooter.

Should be a .078" gas port.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Assumptions, eh.

The FACT is this: if one purchases an FN barrel, they are getting a high quality barrel, regardless of who sells it or the "assumed" specs.
    Do you have their spec sheet or are you assuming?
    Unless someone has seen the spec sheet, wereally don’t know either way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Unless I missed something, please show us where this is an FN barrel.
    Please show me where the barrel is built properly and is not a rejected piece from another company....

People don’t seem to care about quality, but instead come here seeking validation.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Assumptions, eh.

No, it is not an assumption. If a company sells the rejects of another company, how do you have any idea what the level of quality is you are getting?

Please don’t tell me you think all barrels are the same from FN. If you do, don’t beat around the bush, post it clearly so we can quote you. I’ll let you know ahead of time you are going to be mocked for being wrong, but it seems like that is what you are hinting at.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No, it is not an assumption. If a company sells the rejects of another company, how do you have any idea what the level of quality is you are getting?
    I'll ask again: Who said this? **Hint: it is from a current/former moderator of this forum.

I found out the barrel shop at FN made a mistake a roll marked a few PSA barrels with Centurion logo...
    So a mistake by FN turns into PSA "peddling" rejected barrels? Okay.

My stance has always been that regardless of the "assumed" specs, if you have a barrel produced by FN, it is a quality barrel. Period.

I'll wait for the mocking to start. Oh, and mock SMGLee too as he was the one who claimed FN made the MISTAKE of rollmarking PSA barrels with the Centurion logo.
    Last edited by phixion; 11-18-17 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems that every time a discussion like this gets started someone mentions rejects or out of spec parts being sold to lower end manufacturers.

Does anyone have actual firsthand experience with a manufacturer of firearms components 1) creating enough out of spec parts to supply a low-priced high volume retailer; and 2) actually admitting that they do so.

Because if the guy I pay to build my parts screws up enough that he could supply a company in the same industry with the rejects, I'm probably going to be looking for a better supplier.

My point is that the folks making purchasing decisions for components at each AR producer probably know who is supplying what to whom. Producing and selling lots and lots o' rejects would cost the component manufacturer business in the long run.

If the dimensional tolerance of a part is +/- .0025 and company 'A' specifies tolerances within +/- .001 and company 'B' specifies tolerances within +/- .002 that does not equal company 'B' buying rejects. It means the manufacturer does runs to those specs.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-18-17 at 23:24.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast