Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So, as you suspected, it is not an FN barrel. To complete the upper, you would need a gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, upper receiver, Forward assist, barrel nut and handguard.

My free advice (worth every penny) - go to Monmouth Reloading, pick up the Aero upper/Toolcraft BCG combo, and then the 16" Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel, either .750 or .625 gas block size and add a gas tube to the cart. The Hanson barrels come with a pinned gas block. Add an Aero charging handle or buy the charging handle you want.

Then wait for ALG Defense to start their black Friday sale and get a EMR rail (comes with barrel nut) and the $5 wrench.

Buy an A2 flash hider and crush washer. That takes care of the upper.

Now go to Tombstone Tactical and pick up a complete Sionics lower. Buy the stock of your choice.

Or just buy a Colt 6920 because you are north of $700 anyway

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-16-17 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    My experience with one PSA is as follows. Ordered a 10.5 upper since they were dirt cheap and my uncle swears by them. Figured what the hell for under 200 bucks. Granted not the phosphate barrel but what I pasted off their website below. Took it to zero using duty ammo (Speer LE Gold Dot 64 Grain .223) and keyholed all over the place at 25m. Tried a different lot of ammo. Still keyholed. Grabbed one of the duty colt 10.5s we have and shot a perfect group with the same ammo. Sent it back to them, didn't hear anything for a few weeks and then got a shipping notification. Got an upper in the mail with no documentation on what they did/find. I think it's a new upper looking at it but who knows, the original had less than a mag through it. Have not shot the new upper to see if it works. If it keyholes again, I'll just take a refund. My take away for PSA is that if your willing to tinker with it and want a range toy with a cheap price than go for it. I will not use one for hard use. Their prices are dirt cheap, but for just a little more you can get something better IMHO.

"Barrel: Nitride finished chrome moly vanadium barrel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. Barrel is is finished off with a classic carbine-length handguard, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider."

Feedback Score
    I have owned 3 PSA M4's and have put thousands of rounds through them and have never had a issue with them. They are just as accurate as the day I bought them. One of my rifles I use slidefire (thousands and thousands of rounds through them) and the inside of the barrel looks brand new! Just my opinion!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbytucson View Post
    so palmetto state armory always has great deals on their rifles and ar pistols, lately whole rifles and pistols just a few hundred cheaper than a single bcm or daniel barrel. id like to know if their barrels are decent quality and will last a good amount of classes or at least good enough to outperform me as a crappy shooter lol.

Most barrels outperform most shooters. As others have posted, this is not an FN made barrel.

they are 4150v steel, but are not chrome lined and just phosphate finished.

I doubt the one you linked to is 4150, PSA specifically says 4150 in the specs if they are 4150. For what you are wanting to do, at the same price, this one IS spec'ed 4150 and has a nitride finish versus phosphate. Generally, I've read folks prefer the nitride over phosphate, I don't know firsthand, all my barrels are either stainless or chrome lined:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516445672.html
    What are you wanting to end up with, an M4 clone type with a front sight base, or something free-floated? If it is the former, IMO you cant go wrong with this set-up:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html

I have this upper, because, well, FN (I thought) barreled upper for $159.00, I couldn't pass it up. It is a tack driver.

Another question, are you building the upper yourself, having a buddy do it, or paying someone to do it? I would not pay someone to install that particular barrel, no reviews, PSA is relatively new to making barrels, etc.

For something I'm building myself I might chance it. If it isn't working - functionally or accuracy-wise - I'll send it back. If you paid someone to build it, you'd would them be on the hook for the labor of uninstall and reinstall.

I have not had any problems with PSA's order fulfillment or shipping, I've never returned anything to them so I can't speak to their return policy.

Have fun!
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-16-17 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just to be clear, the FN barrel is here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516445259.html

There is no indication that the $159 assembly is FN, only that the page states:

Barrel: 416R Stainless steel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:8 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. A2-style profile barrel is finished off with a standard handguard, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.
    Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.
    That said, if it is at all fun to shoot … rock on.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    Just to be clear, the FN barrel is here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516445259.html

There is no indication that the $159 assembly is FN, only that the page states:

That said, if it is at all fun to shoot … rock on.
    Man I feel dumb. I thought all their stainless barrels were made by FN. Completely over-looked the fact that it isn't a CHF barrel. Still shoots nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    No reason to apologize. Someone may come along with more specific info on the GP measurement and other data you're seeking. As far as keyholing goes, unless the barrel you receive is flat out defective or damaged, that's a pretty remote concern until you get into some seriously high round counts. Or if you sustain prolonged and frequent high rates of fire.

In general, "my rifle is keyholing" threads are very few and far between. As far as the 4150 steel, that's the common and desirable preference. Although, I personally think the 4140 vs 4150 is a bit overstated. It matters to a certain degree. But, with many applications, you'll probably never notice a difference.

Now, the non-lined, untreated aspect might warrant a bit of scrutiny. Ideally, at least having it melonited/nitrided would be preferred. It's not the end of the world to have an untreated barrel, but there are legitimate reasons to desire some form of treatment or lining.

So, are you thinking of piecing it together, or is the linked barrel only for identifying what you believe will come with a complete upper you've got your eye on? With PSA's prices on complete rifles, uppers and lowers, I'd be going that route.
    Thank you!! And the link was just to reference the barrel the is on the rifles on sale

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Unless I missed something, please show us where this is an FN barrel.
    You missed nothing, I was asking if someone could confirm my question if they were fn or not. I do have a sionics though and it is my favorite rifle thus far

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    So, as you suspected, it is not an FN barrel. To complete the upper, you would need a gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, upper receiver, Forward assist, barrel nut and handguard.

My free advice (worth every penny) - go to Monmouth Reloading, pick up the Aero upper/Toolcraft BCG combo, and then the 16" Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel, either .750 or .625 gas block size and add a gas tube to the cart. The Hanson barrels come with a pinned gas block. Add an Aero charging handle or buy the charging handle you want.

Then wait for ALG Defense to start their black Friday sale and get a EMR rail (comes with barrel nut) and the $5 wrench.

Buy an A2 flash hider and crush washer. That takes care of the upper.

Now go to Tombstone Tactical and pick up a complete Sionics lower. Buy the stock of your choice.

Or just buy a Colt 6920 because you are north of $700 anyway

Andy
    Lol love it !! I actually own a sionics and love it, infact it's my favorite. I actually hate aero though. I built 2 rifles using aero lowers and neither of the did well with pmags. They would pop out/disengage . I don't know why, but I refuse to buy aero now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What are you wanting to end up with, an M4 clone type with a front sight base, or something free-floated? If it is the former, IMO you cant go wrong with this set-up:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html

I have this upper, because, well, FN (I thought) barreled upper for $159.00, I couldn't pass it up. It is a tack driver.

Another question, are you building the upper yourself, having a buddy do it, or paying someone to do it? I would not pay someone to install that particular barrel, no reviews, PSA is relatively new to making barrels, etc.

For something I'm building myself I might chance it. If it isn't working - functionally or accuracy-wise - I'll send it back. If you paid someone to build it, you'd would them be on the hook for the labor of uninstall and reinstall.

I have not had any problems with PSA's order fulfillment or shipping, I've never returned anything to them so I can't speak to their return policy.

Have fun!
    I plan on buying a complete rifle or upper assembled from factory. I do like to build but I like practicing builds with crappy cheap stuff like Anderson just so I don't end up ruining quality stuff. And I always thought it's best to avoid ss barrels that are on the cheap side, but your link is a heck of a deal!!! Oh and im sticking with A-Frame
    Last edited by bobbytucson; 11-16-17 at 22:42.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast