Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: palmetto phosphate 4150v barrels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    bobbytuscon:

I posted about that PSA stainless upper in another thread, I bought it to do a torture test similar to what Eurodriver had done with a 6920. As I sighted it in, I found out it was a shooter, so I put magpul handguards and a Ti-7 stock on it and gave it to my daughter.

That is the only PSA barrel I have. Everything else is either Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile or from Green Mountain Barrels.

This isn't a complete upper, but the GMB guys make a lot of OEM barrels: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m51-m4-barrel-assembly/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If after you've been made aware of PSA's quality, and are still willing to purchase their stuff, good luck.....One thing I don't quite understand is the fascination some have buying PSA barrels and touting that they are 'made by FN'. That really doesn't mean anything in the real world, it's only a recognized name that usually means quality. Just because FN is contracted to produce barrels for PSA does not mean you are getting the same quality barrel you receive with an actual FN build.
    FN builds the barrel according to specification set by PSA, and they're usually not the best.
    Just beware.......Just because a known quality manufacturer produces an item for a lower quality company does not make it a quality piece, that goes for anybody contracted to product components. The quality is unknown until PSA releases their full specs and certifications for these "FN barrels".

Why even take a chance when there are so many other higher quality options? You may be better off posting something like the OP over on TOS. Those guys are infatuated with PSA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
    If after you've been made aware of PSA's quality, and are still willing to purchase their stuff, good luck.....One thing I don't quite understand is the fascination some have buying PSA barrels and touting that they are 'made by FN'. That really doesn't mean anything in the real world, it's only a recognized name that usually means quality. Just because FN is contracted to produce barrels for PSA does not mean you are getting the same quality barrel you receive with an actual FN build.
    FN builds the barrel according to specification set by PSA, and they're usually not the best.
    Just beware.......Just because a known quality manufacturer produces an item for a lower quality company does not make it a quality piece, that goes for anybody contracted to product components. The quality is unknown until PSA releases their full specs and certifications for these "FN barrels".

Why even take a chance when there are so many other higher quality options? You may be better off posting something like the OP over on TOS. Those guys are infatuated with PSA.
    Not infatuated with the name, just the quality I have experienced with their barrels. I have owned 3 of their rifles and have put thousands of rounds through them and have never experienced any issue with them. Now, if I was going to war in the Middle East for a year I might think differently or if Martians were to invade earth!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That is such a tired, garbage argument.

You claim PSA's specs on their FN barrels are "usually not the best", yet also claim that the quality is unknown until they release their specs/certs. In other words, PSA sells low-tier FN barrels of unknown quality? Got it.

I know of only two companies that have ever released ANY type of specification requirements/certifications. So to me, the argument of "made to their spec" is garbage because the consumer has no clue what those exact specifications are.

And spare us the talk of gas port sizes because while valid, it either gets criticized or ignored based on which name is associated with the barrel, much like this entire argument of PSA branded FN barrels.

Since you seem to be "in the know", provide the forum with the specs and certifications of the companies you recommend, less Colt (TDP), BCM, Spikes.

If you aren't at liberty to share that information, provide user reports of these low-tier, PSA branded FN barrels; that should be easy enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^^^^^
    Not really what I said but take it as you wish. I'm not here to argue with anyone, especially about things that have been gone over 1,000's of times before.
    If you want PSA, buy PSA. It's your money, do what you like.

There are companies other than Colt that have listed their specs. and certifications for their steel, BCM is one of them. Read around the forum and see for yourself. Just know that barrels are built for companies to their specifications, no matter who produces them. Just because FN supplies them does not get you a standard FN barrel. That isn't really hard to understand.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    ^^^^^^^
    Not really what I said but take it as you wish. I'm not here to argue with anyone, especially about things that have been gone over 1,000's of times before.
    If you want PSA, buy PSA. It's your money, do what you like.

There are companies other than Colt that have listed their specs. and certifications for their steel, BCM is one of them. Read around the forum and see for yourself. Just know that barrels are built for companies to their specifications, no matter who produces them. Just because FN supplies them does not get you a standard FN barrel. That isn't really hard to understand.
    ^^Agree. People seem to forget about PSA peddling rejected Hammer-Forged barrels years ago with the Centurion Arms name on them that couldn't be sanitized all the way off. But like you said, feel free to spend your money on how you see fit.
    Last edited by sig1473; 11-17-17 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    ^^Agree. People seem to forget about PSA peddling rejected Hammer-Forged barrels years ago with the Centurion Arms name on them that couldn't be sanitized all the way off. But like you said, feel free to spend your money on how you see fit.
    Try again.

Let's play a game: Who said this? **Hint: it is from a current/former moderator on this forum.

I found out the barrel shop at FN made a mistake a roll marked a few PSA barrels with Centurion logo...

So a mistake by FN turns into PSA "peddling" rejected barrels? Okay.
    Last edited by phixion; 11-17-17 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    what the heck is going on here lol ? i thought anything made by fn was g2g

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbytucson View Post
    what the heck is going on here lol ? i thought anything made by fn was g2g
    Not necessarily. Their customers (noveske, centurion, PSA) dictate the specs and tolerances. I’m not sure if they actually do anything to the barrels or not.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For what it's worth, PSA doesn't sell very many FN barrels now.

Andy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast