Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" "Medium" Profile Midlength Barrels

Feedback Score
    Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrels are forged with faerie dust.

Do a little looking for the Molon accuracy test with them. For a 4150CMV chrome lined barrel, they are pretty unreal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    I asked about these things on TOS, but didn't get much more than some anecdotal recommendations for Green Mountain and Faxon, which isn't really satisfactory for me since I'm spending significantly more time and money ensuring I get quality parts and trying to do deep dives on the technical aspects of the parts going into this rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Take a look at the Faxon 14.5" middy. Get it with the matched bolt

http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-gunner...ngth-4150-qpq/

OP, out of the barrels you listed, given the rest of your build kit & goal, the BCM barrel gets my vote 10 out of 10 times.

Accuracy is gonna be with a wash across all of these if you factor in match ammo.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Out of the barrels OP listed only Ballistic Advantage provides 1 MOA guarantee as far as I know. If you're looking for more of a long term durability rather than accuracy I'd suggest to look at Cold Hammer Forged barrel. From what I've seen and heard regardless of a manufacturer all current CHF barrels on the market are typically good.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had a 14.5" BCM EMW and would recommend it over the others. I have 3 BA barrels (13.7, 14.0, and 18), but the BCM still gets my vote. It comes dimpled for a low pro gas block, has a better profile (my opinion),and is chrome-lined.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I had been searching for the exact barrel you are describing for years, and had originally settled on a Centurion Arms 14.5" midlength or carbine, but they no longer sell them. I bought a BCM ELW instead, and I have been very happy with it. If BCM made a mid weight barrel, I would get one of those as well for a suppressor host.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I had been searching for the exact barrel you are describing for years, and had originally settled on a Centurion Arms 14.5" midlength or carbine, but they no longer sell them. I bought a BCM ELW instead, and I have been very happy with it. If BCM made a mid weight barrel, I would get one of those as well for a suppressor host.
    Like this?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...4-emwf-std.htm
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I had a 14.5" BCM EMW and would recommend it over the others. I have 3 BA barrels (13.7, 14.0, and 18), but the BCM still gets my vote. It comes dimpled for a low pro gas block, has a better profile (my opinion),and is chrome-lined.
    My BA barrels come pinned with a low pro gas block. I believe e that’s standard on their Hanson barrels. What BA barrel profile did you get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    My BA barrels come pinned with a low pro gas block. I believe e that’s standard on their Hanson barrels.
    As far as I can tell, it is; I haven't seen anyone selling them without them. However, since I'm adding the SLR gas block, which will need to be pinned I assume, would there be any benefits to getting a barrel that hasn't ever had a gas block pinned on before? I don't have enough experience with gas systems to know for certain, but I would assume that having a dimple for a normal sized gas block pin instead of drilling out the old pin and needing to use a new, oversized pin would be preferable.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You don’t have to drill out the existing pin, you just knock it out. However since you are using an SLR GB, I’m guessing their Sentry 7, pinning is moot since their GB’s use set screws from the bottom or clamped is screws on the side. IMO if longevity is key, you really can’t beat a pinned gas block. The pin that is used is normally hardened steel and can take punching out and punching in more than a few times. I have a test barrel that has a chopped FSP and I’ve hammered those pins out and in so many times I can’t remember but they are still tight , really tight. So are you going clamped or with the set screws? I bought a jig from SLR and I tap my own dimples for when I want to run an adjustable gas block.
    However I’m considering a change of SOP in using adjustable gas blocks, but that’s not your topic. But they do present an additional failure point that doesn’t exist with mil spec GB’s. Anyway...
    So even though I have to dimple my BA barrels for the GB, I still prefer those over the other barrels I’ve used including BCM, and DD, because in my builds, they have had an edge in accuracy. I think it’s been noted that they are the only one of the group (at least my group) who offer a sub MOA guarantee. That said I’ve done builds where longevity/endurance were a higher criteria than sub MOA accuracy and I went with a DD because I like their CHF barrels. They’ve been making those for a good while and they’ve been proven in combat theaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    The gas block used with the Hodge Wedge Lock is the SLR GB-7. It actually has one set screw and is dimpled for a pin as well. I was planning to have the gas block pinned in place during the pin and weld of the Warcomp.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast