Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Purchase: Colt Trooper vs Colt Combat Unit vs Anything Else

Feedback Score

New Purchase: Colt Trooper vs Colt Combat Unit vs Anything Else

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and have posted on a couple other forums only recently. I recently sold a gun and have about $1650 to play with. I'd like to set aside some money for an optic, sling etc. I have one AR already. After some fairly extensive research and hair pulling I've narrowed it down to what I think I want. I'm not overly comfortable doing much assembling or tinkering of technical aspects so I'd like to buy a rifle mostly already how I want it. The purpose is just mostly target shooting and having fun but obviously set up for home defense is great too. My other AR is a Del-Ton Sierra (which was given to me) and has a midwest industries free float keymod handguard, low profile gas block, grip pod vertical grip, magpul mbus back up sights, eotech sp1, and streamlight tlr 1s light. I like that set up just fine but I'm open to other configurations. I would however prefer to buy one already with a low profile gas block and free float handguard. A few that have caught my eye are the Colt Trooper, the Colt Combat Unit Carbine, and the BCM RECCE 14. Both the BCM and the CCU put me a little over budget but if that's what is the best use of the money I'll make it happen. My main concern about the Trooper is the carbine length gas system. I've read about some negatives and been told various things. I've got a lot of recommendations for separate uppers and lowers to save money. I'd prefer to buy a whole rifle but am I definitely getting ripped off doing that? Sorry for being long winded but this is overwhelming. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by X4692 View Post
    My main concern about the Trooper is the carbine length gas system.
    That's a dumb thing to be worried about. Colt knows how to make a carbine length gas system. It is LITERALLY on every carbine they've ever sold, to include the industry standard 6920. They've never offered it before the CCU because in their testing it never proved to be worth it. They offered it in the CCU because people who didn't know better asked for it. I'm the exact opposite. I would LOVE a CCU, but only if it came with the carbine gas sytem.

Go with the Trooper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    They offered it in the CCU because people who didn't know better asked for it.
    Ken Hackathorn is one of those folks who had a large impact on configuring the CCU. Ken does know better.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would second not to worry about the carbine gas system. Although, I would’ve worded it a little friendlier. Also, consider buying a fully assembled upper and lower separately. You might save yourself some money. And no assembly required except for mating the upper and lower via pushing two pins. And if you can’t do that, which I’m sure you can, you need to re-evaluate if you’re ready to buy another AR lol!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    They offered it in the CCU because people who didn't know better asked for it.
    Ken Hackathorn is one of those folks who had a large impact on configuring the CCU. Ken does know better.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Trooper and 3k rounds of ammo!

Feedback Score
    Colt enjoys a great reputation for building solid, reliable carbines of which many are 16" barreled versions using carbine length gas systems. Personally, I don't get hung up on the carbine vs mid length debate and feel good about using either so long as the carbine in question is coming from a maker that builds them appropriately.

Both the CCU and Trooper should be just fine.

Me? I went Trooper and plan to use the difference to help set up the rifle.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I was referring to the endless sea of customers asking for years for Colt to "plz do a middy!".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The carbine gas system works fine, but there are distinct advantages to the middy on a 16" barrel.

I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To me, this one is easy-if the Trooper is available at last month’s pricing, ~$700-750, then that is a no brainer; if the Trooper is available at its current pricing, ~$950, I’d go with the CCU, for the upgraded furniture and slightly better CMR rail with the integrated QD cups. If the Trooper had been available for $750 back when I bought my CCU, I’d go Trooper 10 times out of 10. I really like my CCU, but not for $300 more than a last months Trooper pricing.

I could care less about mid vs carbine gas systems on a gun with a 13” rail. I’ve never been able to tell the difference between the 2 anyway, and Colt more than any other manufacturer has the 16” carbine gas system down to a science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast