Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Purchase: Colt Trooper vs Colt Combat Unit vs Anything Else

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the Sionics Weapon Systems "Patrol Rifle III".

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ol-ssk-12.html
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I bought a Trooper because it was $689 plus shipping. Kind of felt obligated to do so at that price. The gun shoots well. I have some mid length gas system guns also.

I agree that for under or around $700, the Trooper makes a lot of sense. But when the Trooper is selling for close to $1,000 then I'd look hard at the 6960 CCU.

The one negative thing I have found with the Trooper is that the M-Lok rails at the 6 o'clock position are for the most part useless. This is because of the combination of the diameter of the barrel and the remaining portion of the bayonet lug combined with the small internal diameter of the Centurion rail. I tried to mount a VFG and a MagPul finger stop. The M-Lok screws were hitting against the barrel or the bayonet lug stub. I ended up putting one of the M-ok screws in a vice and filing down the length of the screw so as to mount the MagPul finger stop.

The thinner profile barrel of the 6960 CCU would prevent this from being a problem. I'm really tempted to sell off the Trooper and buy a 6960 CCU.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    6960 CCU. Checks all the boxes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Brownells has geneewine colt lowers for 240ish shipped.

I’d do that and one of those Larue upper kits and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 Cyberstalk GunsMidwest and Tombstone Tactical for $700-724 Colt Troopers

Email both and use the search engines to find a new Trooper in that price range. That is your best option for the $$. I second that Colt really knows how to build a carbine gas system and would never hesitate to run a Colt carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthepuck View Post
    To me, this one is easy-if the Trooper is available at last month’s pricing, ~$700-750, then that is a no brainer; if the Trooper is available at its current pricing, ~$950, I’d go with the CCU, for the upgraded furniture and slightly better CMR rail with the integrated QD cups. If the Trooper had been available for $750 back when I bought my CCU, I’d go Trooper 10 times out of 10. I really like my CCU, but not for $300 more than a last months Trooper pricing.

I could care less about mid vs carbine gas systems on a gun with a 13” rail. I’ve never been able to tell the difference between the 2 anyway, and Colt more than any other manufacturer has the 16” carbine gas system down to a science.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 11-17-17 at 06:33. Reason: I'm stupid

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The Colts are awesome but I’d maybe go BCM with an ELW barrel. I just can’t see buying a gov profile barrel when there are better options.

Colt needs to make a CCU with a LW barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    The Colts are awesome but I’d maybe go BCM with an ELW barrel. I just can’t see buying a gov profile barrel when there are better options.

The CCU has a LW barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Have you handled a CCU? The CCU does have a LW barrel. More of a medium weight vs a standard gov profile or the BCM or 6720 LW profile, but it is LW and noticeable. I have a Trijicon TA31 on my CCU and it handles nicely. I can tell you this is not a safe queen and it is used as it’s supposed to be. How much lighter does one need? Personal preference I guess.

From the Colt website and the CCU data sheet:

“Mid-Length Gas System, Lightweight profile barrel and Extended Handguard make this upgraded Carbine the preferred choice for the Modern Sport Shooter.”

I will say that similar to the experience above, the space between the bottom of the Centurion rail and the barrel/gas block area is tight. I also had to shave down one MLOK fastener to fit a vfg.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Have you handled a CCU? The CCU does have a LW barrel. More of a medium weight vs a standard gov profile or the BCM or 6720 LW profile, but it is LW and noticeable. I have a Trijicon TA31 on my CCU and it handles nicely. I can tell you this is not a safe queen and it is used as it’s supposed to be. How much lighter does one need? Personal preference I guess.

From the Colt website and the CCU data sheet:

“Mid-Length Gas System, Lightweight profile barrel and Extended Handguard make this upgraded Carbine the preferred choice for the Modern Sport Shooter.”

I will say that similar to the experience above, the space between the bottom of the Centurion rail and the barrel/gas block area is tight. I also had to shave down one MLOK fastener to fit a vfg.

That’s awesome to know! I have not handled one and have been debating ordering one but want a lighter than gov barrel. Now it has everything I want so guess Tombstone is getting a new order placed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have been very pleased with mine. Good luck.

That’s awesome to know! I have not handled one and have been debating ordering one but want a lighter than gov barrel. Now it has everything I want so guess Tombstone is getting a new order placed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast