Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for help in choosing a sub $100 trigger.

Feedback Score

Looking for help in choosing a sub $100 trigger.

I am looking to replace a Mil Spec Trigger from a PSA LPK in my SD/Truck gun. It has a pistol length barrel and I don't need a Geissele SD3G or High Speed Match trigger... Just one that is a step up from the PSA one I have now. I have only used mil spec triggers and the one I have now works fine but I would say it has a heavier then desired pull weight around 7.5 lbs, with a "unpredictable" break and gritty pre travel.

Basically during the pull, there are times when it feels like its at the point where it should break, but doesn't still needing a bit more force.... Then on the next shot, breaks at a lighter then expected pull compared to the previous shot. The "Grit" doesn't help either... So I was looking at the ALG ACT... It seems like its got all the reliability of the Mil Spec but is more refined... ALG is pretty much Geissele lite, and I haven't used geissele products but I trust their reputation...

I figured with the ACT, if the full weight spring was too heavy, I would use either the purple ALG spring or a set of JP enhanced reliability springs and they would get me around 4 to 4.5 lbs. Neither spring seems to have much of a problem with light primer strikes with most ammo types when used in standard Mil Spec Triggers. I think light primer strikes with those springs would be even less likely in the ACT with its "Hard Lube" coatings vs. Phosphate Mil Spec... and the ACT being a Improved mil spec trigger, finding different springs should be easier to get the "right" Hammer and trigger spring weights to give the Pull I want.

What is your opinion...?
    Last edited by brycewise; 12-19-17 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    My opinion?

Dry fire the gun. 1000 cycles at least, with lubricant between the hammer and trigger surfaces. Not mindless cycling while watching TV, but actual deliberate, meaningful repetiitons, with a correct sight picture. 1000 or more cycles.

Your trigger will be 100% improved (read- broken in) AND you will have the benefit of significantly improved trigger control.

Or just buy an ALG.

Best case scenario- buy an ALG trigger AND dry fire. Can't lose.

In my experience-

1. All new AR single stage triggers are rough at first.

2. Training>Hardware

3. PSA triggers are actually pretty decent

4. Don't waste money on reduced weight springs.

5. Finger control/strength>reduced spring weight
    Last edited by BFS; 12-19-17 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Looking for help in choosing a sub $100 trigger.

ACT is a good trigger. But I prefer the Hiperfire EDT2. I’ve had several ACT’s but just prefer the EDT2. It’s my go-to single stage trigger. Feels cleaner, I like the reset better. Probably the biggest thing for me is that it breaks at 4.5lbs which I prefer over the 3.5lb trigger that the ACT has. Personal preference. Either way you really can’t go wrong with either at their price.

ETA: the EDT2 would give you the 4.5lb without purchasing a separate set of springs. Like I said it is a clean breaking trigger, with positive reset. I think you’d be satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 12-19-17 at 23:36.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’ve never used any of the ALGs but the BCM PNT is really impressive for the money.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    LaRue has the MBT on sale for $99 recently. I’d look there- even without the sale they can be had for $125 with the “I can wait” option. It is an excellent trigger on par with the Geiselle SSA, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    My
    In my experience-

1. All new AR single stage triggers are rough at first.
    ??

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    MMMMMMM where have I seen this question before? Enjoy your ACT's.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    LaRue has the MBT on sale for $99 recently. I’d look there- even without the sale they can be had for $125 with the “I can wait” option. It is an excellent trigger on par with the Geiselle SSA, in my opinion.
    Best trigger for $99 hands down.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Go to the auto parts store.

Buy a tub of Lucas Red 'n Tacky for about $6.00

Get a Q-Tip

Dip the Q-Tip in the Red 'n Tacky

Put the red sticky stuff on any metal-on-metal surfaces of the FCG.

If you don't see a significant improvement in the trigger, shoot me a PM and I'll buy the leftover RnT from you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ALG QMS.

It opened my eyes to what a real "entry-level" trigger can be.

I got the ALG "Quality Mil-Spec" with LPK from PSA awhile back for around 58 dollars or something.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 12-20-17 at 08:16.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast