Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was There a ‘Format War’ Between KMR and MLOK?

Feedback Score

Was There a ‘Format War’ Between KMR and MLOK?

Greetings folks,

With BCM’s recent decision to offer MLOK rails and accessories alongside their KMR lineup, I’m wondering if there was a ‘format war’ going on or if it was simply a matter of offering up two different systems intended to live side by side.

What do you think? Will one eventually stand alone or will the two attachment systems live alongside M1913 until the next best thing comes out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
    Greetings folks,

With BCM’s recent decision to offer MLOK rails and accessories alongside their KMR lineup, I’m wondering if there was a ‘format war’ going on or if it was simply a matter of offering up two different systems intended to live side by side.

What do you think? Will one eventually stand alone or will the two attachment systems live alongside M1913 until the next best thing comes out?
    Supposedly MLOK won the war

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah, there definitely was some competition between the two formats. But slowly and surely, MLOK seemed to be more popular and USSOCOM/NSWC Crane's testing that MLOK was a superior platform kinda pushed Keymod further away.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I don't see a war taking place at all. People just get all excited about the latest thing. I have been invested in Keymod from the beginning and see no reason to change. Despite some reports of failures I have seen none that weren't the result of improper use. Having said that I think Mloc accessories are not as prone to being installed wrong. KeyMod requires an attention to detail that some people just don't posses. If a person doesn't feel comfortable changing a tire on his truck he would be better off with Mloc. Even though I am a Keymod fan I will predict Mloc outlasting it. If I could have the perfect rail it would be smooth, lightweight and have 4 short builtin sections of picatinny at the muzzle end and QD sockets on both sides on the receiver end. Made by BCM with their attachment system. For all I care It wouldn't need to be KM or ML.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the NSW test pretty much killed keymod. It will be a round for a long time still but Mlok definitely won. Also SOCOM has already solicited one rifle with Mlok in the CSASS.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    My first build was going to have a Keymod rail. I found that no matter what I did or how hard I torqued the screws, everything came undone...and this was without any rough handling, even shooting a single round through it! I used good parts (Geissele rail, BCM and Noveske attachments), but every rail piece, grip, and rail cover seemed to work itself loose. So, I sold it on TOS and bought an ALG EMR 3. I just put a Centurion CMR 10.5" MLOK on my SBR. Everything stays locked up tight.

I don't think there was really ever a "war". Both Vltor and Magpul were smart by making their designs open source, and more or less letting user feedback do the talking (I know it was no doubt more complicated than that, but you get the idea). I don't think there were really any camps that were totally passionate about one and hating the other to the point of looking down on its supporters. Keymod didn't work for me, but I know a lot of people who like it. Good for them. Whatever works. At the end of the day, it's not as vital to the operation of the rifle as most of the other parts.

I'd like to see the NSWC Crane test between the MLOK and Picatinny. It's seems to be the conventional view here that Picatinny is still the strongest, most solid format of the three. But it's been mentioned (speculated) that MLOK is a close second, and maybe as strong. I'd be interested to see if that's true. Also, if it's NOT true (that is, the Picatinny is far-and-away, without argument, the strongest attachment system), is the MLOK still viable for a hard use/SHTF/combat worthy rifle? Or is it best for competition and home defense only?
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 11-16-17 at 17:00.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I don't see a war taking place at all. People just get all excited about the latest thing. I have been invested in Keymod from the beginning and see no reason to change. Despite some reports of failures I have seen none that weren't the result of improper use. Having said that I think Mloc accessories are not as prone to being installed wrong. KeyMod requires an attention to detail that some people just don't posses. If a person doesn't feel comfortable changing a tire on his truck he would be better off with Mloc. Even though I am a Keymod fan I will predict Mloc outlasting it. If I could have the perfect rail it would be smooth, lightweight and have 4 short builtin sections of picatinny at the muzzle end and QD sockets on both sides on the receiver end. Made by BCM with their attachment system. For all I care It wouldn't need to be KM or ML.
    Even then, you can screw up attaching MLOK.

It's the new hotness and I think it 'won', but plenty of KMR out there.

I have 2 x BCM uppers with KMR - they aren't going anywhere (only mount a light and VFG) but if I get another BCM I'd probably try out the MLOK, because I have another rifle with that as well (SCAR with KDG MLOK rail).

99% of people here won't use their rifle enough to tell the difference.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Certainly not going to see metal shelving units put together with MLOK in my lifetime.....Love me some keymod rail. Once you see the design spec and how it's supposed to work installation of accessories becomes second nature.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Key mod was a great idea.

MLok improved on it.

Mlok became very popular. It was simply a good business decision of BCM to meet that markets demand. I know personally when they became availed I bought 3 BCM mlok vertical for grips to replace magpul ones.

Mlok is currently more popular. It will continue to be so with military adaptation. Key Mod is not going anywhere right now. Though I doubt it will stand the test of time like mlok will.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There was no mud slinging by the two backing companies. Just two open source options. I say no war. People were free to choose. One came out first and was successful for a long time in the absence of the other. The Crane study put Mlok over the top. I see keymod sticking around, just not being the top dog.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast