Thread: Educate Me: Cleaning Suppressed SBR

Feedback Score

Educate Me: Cleaning Suppressed SBR

Greetings folks,

I’ve always been the kind of person to keep my guns running, not inspection ready, but something caught me off guard about my new suppressed SBR: Significant copper buildup and corrosion. This is an all BCM 11.5” SBR and Silencerco Specwar 5.56 suppressor.

After a few hundred rounds through the gun, I oiled up the BCG, cased it, and went home. A week or so later I was teaching my wife about the suppressor, including how to remove it and ensure it’s locked in place correctly. Upon removal, the flash hider was about 75% covered in green and there was also a significant buildup inside the suppressor itself.

Is this normal?
    Should I clean either the rifle or the suppressor and how?
    Will this affect function in any way if not cleaned?
    What else should I look for with regard to keeping this setup running reliably?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, folks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Green is the copper deposits oxidizing on the mount. Some ammo/barrel combos are worse than others. Just keep the mount clean enough that you can get the can off, and that's about it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v