Thread: Manual of arms commonality Browning X-bolt - Ruger American Rimfire

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Manual of arms commonality Browning X-bolt - Ruger American Rimfire

I have a disease/compulsion.

Many years ago I missed several birds in a row because I was using a shotgun that I wasn't familiar with. I had lots of different guns at the time and I didn't click the safety off on this gun because it wasn't in the same place. Other times I have flubbed reloads, got a click instead of a bang when I had different manual of arms.

Yes, I could train with it and eventually overcome it but I have limited shooting opportunities and that is something I don't want to screw with.

Therefore, I want my firearms to all operate as closely as possible to each other.

All my automatic shotguns are Benellis, all my handguns are Glocks, all my revolvers are S&W.

Now I am thinking about bolt actions. I really like the Browning system (Abolt) and I used to have several but don't own any now.

While fooling around at the local Academy I played around with a Ruger American Rimfire. Safety is similar in location and function to that of the Browning. Both have 60 degree bolt throws.

Anyone else have both and can confirm that the RAR could be a suitable "understudy" rifle for a Browning Abolt/Xbolt?

My alternatives are the Marlins that I have now and go with a Remington bolt but I have owned several over the years and I prefer the Browning.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I can't offer much commentary on the bolt actions you are speaking of, but I certainly can appreciate consistency in equipment. I had a bolt action that was incredibly accurate for an off the shelf gun. But I usually found myself reaching for the SPR due to the familiarity. I don't own the bolt action anymore, but I'm still using the SPR.

Feedback Score
    Browning X-Bolt locks the bolt when on safe and Ruger doesn’t. Browning has a separate button on the bolt handle to allow working the bolt when on safe. I don’t think those differences would be an issue though for what you’re describing. I think the mag release is similar on both (in front of mag). Both have tang safety as you noted.