Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old school knives you don’t see or use much any more...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pacific Cutlery (balisong era, pre Benchmade) Fer-de-Lance by David Steele

I tossed the boxes, but still have two of these. One is in a more modern sheath.

Impractical, looks a bit odd, but just feels right. One I've used more, and I've thought about doing some kind of grippier coating on the scales.

Also still have my Gerber Mk1 from the 70s. Carried it as a college kid everywhere in downtown Atlanta. Luckily I never had to use it... Probably would have been cut!

USAF Survival knife, also from the 70s. (Ontario?) Wanna say it was $7 surplus new at a gun show.

And a pair of Mauser and Enfield bayonets my brother bought out of a barrel for a couple bucks each from an old surplus store on Peachtree. Run by a pair of Jewish brother's, old school shop keepers.

Have since added other bayos to the mix (cetme/M16 issue/Swiss???)

Feedback Score
    I have a shit-ton of knives, but this is the only old mil knife I own

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Better pic of the Fer-de-Lance:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

I've started picking these up, mostly VN era. Cheap history!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I've started picking these up, mostly VN era. Cheap history!
    Yep. See a lot of them now. My dad had this in his toolbox for as far back as I can remember. I believe it’s from my uncle’s time in USAF.

They’re pretty cool anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

Those used to come with your issued tools in a GP mechanics tool set. Actually an inexpensive knife but they sharpen well and were very handy for the can and bottle opener.
    An older G.I. showed me just how sharp you could get the knife that comes with your mess kit, he did a hell of a job on it. he had the handle wrapped with 550 cord under some 100 mph tape.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ve got a drawer full of random old knives- here’s a few-

Top is my first real knife, a Buck 110 from the mid-late eighties, maybe from my first deer hunt? Next two are from my dad a few years ago- a Schrade 735 mariner’s knife and a Ka-Bar x11/77. I didn’t know much about these knives, but they seem to have some collector value. Bottom is an old set of Buck knives. Again, a hand me down from my dad, maybe 10-15 years ago.

Feedback Score
    I forgot about those fixed blade balisongs!
    A buddy had one.

I also have a mechanics folder and a demo folder laying around somewhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    This isn't my EK but it looked like this new. It's ptetty beat now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still great looking blade IMHO, and the worn look (on your personal one) just adds to it!
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Those used to come with your issued tools in a GP mechanics tool set. Actually an inexpensive knife but they sharpen well and were very handy for the can and bottle opener.
    An older G.I. showed me just how sharp you could get the knife that comes with your mess kit, he did a hell of a job on it. he had the handle wrapped with 550 cord under some 100 mph tape.
    Interesting. Learned more about the knife with your one post than I’ve known about it the last 40 years, lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast