Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light/Mid 5.56 Defensive Load Recs for 1:9 Twist

Feedback Score

Light/Mid 5.56 Defensive Load Recs for 1:9 Twist

I'm trying to decide on a SHTF-type load with a light or mid weight bullet for use with my 1:9 twist 18.5'' Ruger Mini 14. For my 1:7 twist 16'' AR, I have 75 gr. T2 TAP, but I want a lighter (i.e. shorter) bullet for the slower twist barrel. Inside my dwelling, it would be .45 ACP, so this would likely be for an outside sort of engagement (like what happened with that Texas shooter). I know that some 1:9 twist barrels do well with the 70+ grain bullets, but I probably want to look at 69 gr as the max.

I have a lot of M193-style ammo but hoping for something with better terminal performance. I'm willing to spend more to get more, but I'm also a fan of spending 75% to get 95%. I tend to heavily favor the higher velocity of 5.56 over .223 loads, but I'm open to being persuaded.

In terms of barrier penetration, I wouldn't want something that is horrible in that regard, but its not a particular concern. I'd say it would be an upside, although over-penetration would also be a concern. I do want something that has reasonable range for a 5.56 load, as well as good accuracy, although I'm not looking to drive tacks or penetrate soviet helmets at 600 meters.

I am in California, where lead-free will be required for hunting, so copper solid would kill two birds with one stone. I have some Barnes 55 gr. .223 TSX on hand for hunting purposes. I see that in 5.56 there is a Black Hills 50 gr TSX and a Barnes 62 gr TSX option, but not sure how those would compare to other options. Also, the Barnes is 0.979 long which might be too long for 1:9.

I have researched quite a few threads on this and other forums but most of the info. is pretty dated and/or the specs were different from mine. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 5.56_30-06; 11-16-17 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hornady GMX rounds and the Black Hills TSX offerings in 5.56 seem to do well in Molon’s testing for accuracy. I’d give them a shot if you want to standarding with lead free. Expansion after Barrier penetration isn’t high on your list so put some of them on paper for groups and see what you get.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With your parameters in mind: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...free-box-of-50

I favor standard .223 rounds in Mini-14s.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    With your parameters in mind: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...free-box-of-50

I favor standard .223 rounds in Mini-14s.
    Why the .223 preference for Mini 14s?

Feedback Score
    Mk318 SOST
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_30-06 View Post
    Why the .223 preference for Mini 14s?
    Minis tend to run more reliably on domestically produced high quality .223 spec ammunition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Minis tend to run more reliably on domestically produced high quality .223 spec ammunition.
    So far, my mini has eaten M193 with no issues, but I haven't put too many rounds through it. I'm not going to have time to test it out, as we have laws restricting purchase of ammo in California going into effect starting next year and I want to stock up before then. But assuming that I should be running .223, it looks like GDSPs would give me the best bang for the buck. The BH TSXs look great and can be dual purpose for hunting (lead-free) but I'm not loving the price tag vs. the GDSPs. At $1.50 a pop, it makes me want to stick with my current collection of .223 Barnes 55 gr. TSX for hunting and the much cheaper GDSP for SD.

Looking at the GDSPs, I wonder if anyone has any opinion on the 55 gr. vs. the 62/64 gr.? (I understand the 62 gr. is replacing the 64 gr.) I would love to have similar POI with 55 gr. FMJ .223 so that I can use that for practice, sighting in, etc., and I assume the 55 gr. GDSP would be closer to the FMJ. I also like the higher velocity of the 55 gr. But the 62/64 seems to be a lot more available and in the comparisons that I have found, the 62/64 seems to get a slight edge.
    Last edited by 5.56_30-06; 11-26-17 at 03:37.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m a fan of 62gr Fusion MSR. Its widely available and does what it’s supposed to. If going copper, Barnes 50gr or 55gr should work, or at least they do in a AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m a fan of 62gr Fusion MSR. Its widely available and does what it’s supposed to. If going copper, Barnes 50gr or 55gr should work, or at least they do in a AR.
    Thanks 1168. The Fusions look great but I feel like I can get most of that performance and quality in the cheaper GDSP, so I'm pretty much set on either the 55 gr or 62/64 gr GDSPs. Same story on the Barnes -- I'd probably just continue buying the Barnes 55 gr TSX or maybe switch to the BH 50 gr TSX if there weren't such a great alternative in the GDSPs that is so much cheaper.

I did pay through the nose for some BH 5.56 50 gr TSX for my AR, but I would have chosen GDSP if I could get it in 5.56.

But anyway, if anyone has thoughts / advice on the 55 gr. vs. the 62/64 gr. GDSP, please let me know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So far, my mini has eaten M193 with no issues, but I haven't put too many rounds through it.
    It will eat it, but margins are narrower.

But assuming that I should be running .223, it looks like GDSPs would give me the best bang for the buck. The BH TSXs look great and can be dual purpose for hunting (lead-free) but I'm not loving the price tag vs. the GDSPs. At $1.50 a pop, it makes me want to stick with my current collection of .223 Barnes 55 gr. TSX for hunting and the much cheaper GDSP for SD.
    Why switch? The TSX is a great round. Verify function, zero the gun, and rotate annually. Train/practice with something else.

Looking at the GDSPs, I wonder if anyone has any opinion on the 55 gr. vs. the 62/64 gr.? (I understand the 62 gr. is replacing the 64 gr.) I would love to have similar POI with 55 gr. FMJ .223 so that I can use that for practice, sighting in, etc., and I assume the 55 gr. GDSP would be closer to the FMJ. I also like the higher velocity of the 55 gr. But the 62/64 seems to be a lot more available and in the comparisons that I have found, the 62/64 seems to get a slight edge.
    I like the 62 most of the GDSPs. Difference between the 55 and 62 is negligible for practical purposes. I'd still zero with the actual sku you're carrying, but you can train/practice with others. AE223 or AE223N (the 62gr) are close enough.

I did pay through the nose for some BH 5.56 50 gr TSX for my AR,
    Good choice.

but I would have chosen GDSP if I could get it in 5.56.
    It's about a lot more than .223/5.56. Don't get wrapped around that axle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast