Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light/Mid 5.56 Defensive Load Recs for 1:9 Twist

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    62/64 Gold Dot is very similar to Fusion MSR. So if its cheaper or more readily available, it is a good choice.

However, if you are happy with your copper bullets, I would stay with that. There’s just not that much to be gained. If they weren’t so expensive and hard to find where I am, I would be shooting Barnes/Black Hills in most of my rifles. The 50gr 556 load is spectacular in gelatin.

Feedback Score
    55 grain Hornady soft points over 23.2 of RL10x. The most accurately Mini load I have ever shot. Not too hot with decent expansion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    55 grain Hornady soft points over 23.2 of RL10x. The most accurately Mini load I have ever shot. Not too hot with decent expansion.
    What velocity does that give you from the Mini?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I have a 17.5 " barrel (one inch under factory with a flash hider) and based on my simple calculations based on stated reloading data with a 24" test barrel I believe the velocity is between 2300 and 2400 fps. My bullets were shot into dirt and they tend to expand and deform adequately. I can't tell you how they would do against flesh or drywall.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_30-06 View Post
    Thanks 1168. The Fusions look great but I feel like I can get most of that performance and quality in the cheaper GDSP, so I'm pretty much set on either the 55 gr or 62/64 gr GDSPs.
    Are GDSP really cheaper? I buy Fusion MSR for $20/box down the street from me. Never seen gold dot anything that cheap.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Are GDSP really cheaper? I buy Fusion MSR for $20/box down the street from me. Never seen gold dot anything that cheap.
    It's not hard to find GDSP for $10-12 a box online. Try SGAmmo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    It's not hard to find GDSP for $10-12 a box online. Try SGAmmo.
    Good to know. I've only seen it much higher.

Feedback Score
    All, thanks for all of the info -- good stuff. I decided to stick with 5.56 for my Mini -- getting a lot of reports from Mini owners saying that 5.56 runs fine, albeit with lower accuracy in some cases. And I ended up finding some reasonably priced FBI 5.56 (62 gr. TBBC) and bought a bunch of that as my all around SD round for my Mini. I decided to go that route instead of Black Hills 5.56 50 gr. TSX after I saw that I could get about double the quantity of the FBI stuff for the same price. Looks like the FBI stuff won't be as accurate but should be as good or better as a barrier blind round ... and, again, half the price.

I'll probably be selling the TSX for a good price but I won't advertise that in this post in case that might violate forum rules.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_30-06 View Post

I'll probably be selling the TSX for a good price but I won't advertise that in this post in case that might violate forum rules.
    Okay, I laughed at this.

Feedback Score
    Compliance is no laughing matter! I see there is a marketplace forum so I'll check that out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12