Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep rifle or build pistol?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    One of my friends [ We both started AR 15 shooting in the early 1970s] built up an AR pistol with all the trick parts several years ago and when I tried it I was reminded of the night I had a few too many drinks and picked up a good looking tranny. It seemed like a good idea but actually is wan't like it seemed. No bad but not what Iwould brag about.
    So the tranny wasnt to bad ? Ok lmao
    Steve

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say, it is your money, do whatever would make you happy.
    Not trying to start any debate, but there are a tons of options out there. For me, Bullpups fit that role nicely. Once you start shooting rifle caliber carbines in the 26-30'' OAL range, you will be hooked Normal rifles will start to feel like gigantic muskets

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    If you want a pistol build a pistol. I would not get rid of one of the 14.5" guns but instead save until you can afford to complete the short upper.

If your state allows I would file a form 1 and SBR it. You could run it as a pistol until paperwork came back.

The difference between a pinned 14.5 and an 11.5 is fairly noticeable (I have both) but I would not get rid of one of my 14.5 guns to fund the 11.5
    Last edited by bighawk; 11-17-17 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of my friends [ We both started AR 15 shooting in the early 1970s] built up an AR pistol with all the trick parts several years ago and when I tried it I was reminded of the night I had a few too many drinks and picked up a good looking tranny. It seemed like a good idea but actually is wan't like it seemed. No bad but not what Iwould brag about.
    Curious, was it the brace that made you not really like the pistol very much? Personally I haven't shouldered a brace that felt very natural, the LOP was too short, and the brace is really fat and clunky.

Also curious to hear more about that night you had a few too many drinks, can you list the trannys specs?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Both humble and honest.... and yet.....

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OP save your money and get a suppressor. That would be more valuable to you than a pistol.

For HD that 11" is going to blow your ears out.

Feedback Score
    Don’t use a flash can. 11.5 +suppressor if possible, or just a flash hider.

I have an 11.5” pistol I like so far, only a couple hundred rounds through it so far. I have the shockwave brace, I’d recommend that one based off comments about other braces I see here.

Just saw this:
    Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    My main goal for it would be hd, but i want a range of 25 to 150 yds for shooting paper. The main thing I'm wondering is three inches of length worth the trade off in velocity. I will not be clearing buildings or be hopping in and out of vehicles. I was thinking of 10.5 but then I lose even more velocity.
    I would absolutely try an 11.5” with an a2 for this. Honestly, it doesn’t seem that much worse than a 14.5” in my opinion.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-18-17 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MegademiC what buffer tube are you using.

The point of using the flash can is because the upper I would be using has a 12" handguard. All I would have to do is change the barrel, gas tube, and flash hider. I can do all the work myself. The barrel i got a great price on and could recoup most of the money I spent on it.

The lower I'm already building so the only difference is which buffer tube.
    Right now doing an sbr is a no go.

I appreciate all the replies. I know one person who has a 300blk pistol. I'm going to see if I can talk him into going to the range so I can try it out.
    Last edited by G.B.; 11-18-17 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    Buffer will depend on your barrel length and gas port size.
    If your stuck to a 12” handguard, I’d go with a 12.5” barrel and a flash hider.
    Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have four AR's a 20, 2 16 inch carbines and an AR pistol.
    I like my AR pistol and I practice with it about every other time I shoot. The idea was I can break it down, stow it and go about my business and still have some assurance that I would likely as not, not be out gunned in an emergency is a good thing.
    The pistol is unlike either of my 16 inch guns and requires some understanding of how you fire it effectively, not much, but some.
    I look at it like I do insurance for my truck, I dont like the bother or the expense, but these are some damned strange times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12