Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma w/ NFA items & local range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dilemma w/ NFA items & local range.

So, I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this in. If not, I apologize, and please feel free to move it. Now, I believe everyone will be interested to hear this. I’m also hoping for some guidance as to what to do. I called a local range where I live in Dade county. I asked about any restrictions for class 3 items. The woman stated; bumpfiring, bumpfire stocks, and F/A are not allowed. She then stated that SBRs/suppressors are only allowed to be used IF you provide paperwork AND ALLOW THEM TO SCAN AND COPY your approvals to keep on file indefinitely “to ensure compliance w/ federal law”. Now, if I’m not mistaken, the only person legitimately able to request proof of approvals, is the ATF and only the ATF. So, just go to another range, right? Wrong. This is basically the only outdoor range you’re able to shoot past 25 yards. Am I able to take some sort of recourse (i.e report them to the ATF etc). Or should I just suck it up so I can actually get some decent range time? It really pisses me off that they would demand something like this, but I also really want to shoot, and this is pretty much my only option. Any and all insight will be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    that would piss me off. When I was in NOVA there was a range somewhere up there (can't remember name or town) that wanted to see paperwork for class 3 stuff... never went back.

maybe we're wrong to call BS on this, and if so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to inform us of that, but it annoys the hell out of me none the less and they wouldn't get a penny from me
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginzomatic View Post
    that would piss me off. When I was in NOVA there was a range somewhere up there (can't remember name or town) that wanted to see paperwork for class 3 stuff... never went back.

maybe we're wrong to call BS on this, and if so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to inform us of that, but it annoys the hell out of me none the less and they wouldn't get a penny from me
    Thank you! As per everything I’ve read, it is PRIVATE tax information. For my and (unfortunately) ATFs eyes only. The real question is, since this is literally the only place to shoot. Should I suck it up? Or make the over hour drive to the next place to shoot, as well as less shoot less frequently due to the drive and many other time constraints.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    hopefully someone will be along soon with some legal type advice. i'd say your next step depends partially on that
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    Is it close enough you can just swing by and be ready to shoot one day?

If so, I'd try it. Just show up and shoot. I don't have to tell mine what I'm shooting, other than they check for steel core ammo. No way I'm letting anybody make a copy to keep. Their range, their rules. They're no responsible for you being in compliance with federal law.

If asked, I'll tell them I have the copies with me, but have never even showed them to anybody before. If pushed, I may show them...but never handing them over.

Feedback Score
    Double tap
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 11-17-17 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    If you really want to shoot there just give them a redacted copy of your form 4. Your name and the last 2 or 3 digits of your serial number with manufacturer and model and ATF approval signature, black out everything else. If that isnt good enough, find public land to shoot at or a private land owner that will let you shoot there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Is it close enough you can just swing by and be ready to shoot one day?

If so, I'd try it. Just show up and shoot. I don't have to tell mine what I'm shooting, other than they check for steel core ammo. No way I'm letting anybody make a copy to keep. Their range, their rules. They're no responsible for you being in compliance with federal law.

If asked, I'll tell them I have the copies with me, but have never even showed them to anybody before. If pushed, I may show them...but never handing them over.
    Good idea. I considered doing this, and I probably will do so. I guess I’m also seeking advice as to what to do if “confronted” in any type of way.

Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    If you really want to shoot there just give them a redacted copy of your form 4. Your name and the last 2 or 3 digits of your serial number with manufacturer and model and ATF approval signature, black out everything else. If that isnt good enough, find public land to shoot at or a private land owner that will let you shoot there.
    Also a good idea. The problem is there is no public land you can legally shoot on here, same goes for private land. The laws specifically forbid it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmedic_ View Post
    Now, if I’m not mistaken, the only person legitimately able to request proof of approvals, is the ATF and only the ATF.
    Yes, you are mistaken. Anyone can request proof. They could also request you show them your 1040s dating back 10 years in order to use THEIR range. They could also request you bring pizza and beer on each visit. You however, do not have to comply, and can take your business elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Yes, you are mistaken. Anyone can request proof. They could also request you show them your 1040s dating back 10 years in order to use THEIR range. They could also request you bring pizza and beer on each visit. You however, do not have to comply, and can take your business elsewhere.
    Lol yes, I know they can technically ask whatever they want. But could they get in trouble with ATF for doing so? If, the ATF cared enough to do something about it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast