Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma w/ NFA items & local range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmedic_ View Post
    That’s not an option, though. They want the originals, so they can copy them. They said they keep a paper copy and one for the computer.

Your original NFA paperwork should not be leaving the house. You never show this to anyone, including law enforcement.

If someone wants to see it, you can provide them with a photocopy or an electronic PDF.

Never give anyone your original paperwork for any reason.

If it goes missing, gets stolen, or gets jammed up in a copy machine, you are screwed and will have to get a replacement certified copy from the ATF.
    Last edited by scottryan; 11-21-17 at 09:29.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So, I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this in. If not, I apologize, and please feel free to move it. Now, I believe everyone will be interested to hear this. I’m also hoping for some guidance as to what to do. I called a local range where I live in Dade county. I asked about any restrictions for class 3 items. The woman stated; bumpfiring, bumpfire stocks, and F/A are not allowed. She then stated that SBRs/suppressors are only allowed to be used IF you provide paperwork AND ALLOW THEM TO SCAN AND COPY your approvals to keep on file indefinitely “to ensure compliance w/ federal law”. Now, if I’m not mistaken, the only person legitimately able to request proof of approvals, is the ATF and only the ATF. So, just go to another range, right? Wrong. This is basically the only outdoor range you’re able to shoot past 25 yards. Am I able to take some sort of recourse (i.e report them to the ATF etc). Or should I just suck it up so I can actually get some decent range time? It really pisses me off that they would demand something like this, but I also really want to shoot, and this is pretty much my only option. Any and all insight will be appreciated!
    What range is this?... Their range, their rules apply but they could kick rocks, it's none of their business.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That’s not an option, though. They want the originals, so they can copy them. They said they keep a paper copy and one for the computer.
    You know after something really bad happens and people say "I saw all the warning signs"

You know in the B Movie horror shows, there is a noise and someone goes to see what it was?

You know in jewelry business when someone wants to clean your diamond ring in the back room?

You know in the firearms world when someone says they need to get their hands on your original papers?

You need to turn around and walk away from that one. It's just not worth it. It's wrong. Don't support it.

Feedback Score
    It's simply an ignorant power trip under the guise of reducing liability. Lack of competition allows jerks to be jerks. I live in Atlanta, so there are fortunately a good number of range options. I've never had someone ask for my NFA paperwork.

Once I did go to an indoor range that I shot at on occasion. They told me that I couldn't insert a magazine in my AR15 and that I'd have to feed the cartridges one at a time. I asked why and was told it was because people were shooting too fast. I replied that they should just kick the people out who were not obeying the rules. I then told them that I'm not going to bother shooting an AR15 that way and I'd never be back. I've never been there again. But again, I'm fortunate enough to have range options.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    So by your logic. What covers their butt if you walk in with a G17 and shoot 3 times a week and then go whacko?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    They simply want to cover their azz in case you decide to go wacko one day and your range time is tracked back to them. I'd show my originals but be prepared to explain why you're only leaving them redacted copies. Provide clear and concise reasoning and you may well get your point across and come out fine. Them havng a redacted copy still covers their butts while also protecting your privacy AND covers their exposure in case someone were to get ahold of your personal and private information Them having that info makes them responsible if someone used it for the wrong reasons and that may be reason enough to begin accepting redacted copies moving forward.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you! As per everything I’ve read, it is PRIVATE tax information. For my and (unfortunately) ATFs eyes only. The real question is, since this is literally the only place to shoot. Should I suck it up? Or make the over hour drive to the next place to shoot, as well as less shoot less frequently due to the drive and many other time constraints.
    Well you do live in Miami/Dade so its basically slim pickin's for shooting ranges there, esp outdoors.

Their range, their rules apply; it sucks but you also do not have to go there. I suggest actually speaking to a manager/owner of the range to get the final word if you still intend to shoot there. Otherwise, make the hour drive elsewhere to be safe. If time is an issue, go to the range on a weekend to drive to a better range. Even if you shoot once a week on a Sat/Sun, that's still 4x a month.

In my case, living in Central FL, most local ranges are indoor. Many don't allow rapid fire, and some don't even allow steel core and steel case ammo. There are a few outdoor gun clubs but you have to be a member to shoot, and some of them still do not allow rapid fire/FA. I have to drive an hour outside the city to get to a public range where I can do what I want and don't have to answer to a private range owner.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 11-24-17 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't do it. They have no reason to request it--- they aren't asking to see car insurance for the vehicle in their parking lot.

Also, think of the flip side. Do you want YOUR tax records (address, items owned, etc) on file in their office? How do they secure that information? What's to stop some POS employee from using it to find out what you own and sell it to their buddy Shady Sam so he can get a suppressor at the low low price of your broken window?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I spent some time at the range today. And, just figured I’d give everyone an update. I went, didn’t say anything, and was able to shoot un-bothered, by anyone. It was so pleasant, I bought an annual membership (they offer .MIL/LE/First responder discounts). I guess it ain’t a problem till it’s a problem!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried other ranges? No way would I allow them to scan and keep copies of my paperwork. I think Trail Glades allows title-2 firearms. That’s where Ruben used to hold his monthly MG shoots.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-24-17 at 18:00.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Have you tried other ranges? No way would I allow them to scan and keep copies of my paperwork. I think Trail Glades allows title-2 firearms. That’s where Ruben used to hold his monthly MG shoots.
    Trail Glades never harassed me about having SBRs and suppresses, never once asked to see any "paperwork." On your average day they don't allow rapid fire, I'm guessing they have specific dates and times dedicated to MG shoots. Staff there is pretty good there, but definitely some quirky shooters I wouldn't trust shooting there. I witnessed one dude start marching down range to "fix his target" when the range was hot.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast