Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Good .308 ARs are highly reliable. The LMT MWS for example. Also much more parts in common with an AR-15 for ease of upgrades or replacements.

Deer hunting is not a realistic survival strategy unless you're in an area with thousands of deer and no humans. I don't know many areas like that. Deer thrive on row crops and backyard gardens. In real wilderness they are much fewer.

Even if that were a real concern, good ammo in 5.56 is going to beat ball ammo in .308.

Someone hoping to survive by hunting in TEOTWAKI is probably going to starve. But focusing on hunting squirrels and rabbits would keep you alive longer.

The M1A is kinda cool, but was practically an antique on the day it was introduced. It's also very long and somewhat heavy.

I'll be blunt: you have not stated any particular reason you need a SCAR 17, or any .308 semiauto for that matter, or have a use for either one. If you simply want one that's fine, and great, go get one because you want it. I like collecting too, I have several rifles that are merely curiosities for me, and have no pretext of hunting or self-defense use. But if you think you have an unmet need, keep working to identify what it really is, then pick something to fit it directly.
Well I kind of just like the bigger round but admit I'm probably never gonna hunt anything. I have 2 bolt action .308's and was thinking of replacing them both with a semi auto .308. If I move into bear country (the Poconos) I'll be more likely to get a semi auto .308. I'm not a collector. I just like a few different calibers. I might not need it but Id rather have one.