Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the FN SCAR 17 worth it??

Feedback Score

Is the FN SCAR 17 worth it??

I have 2 .308's but there bolt action guns. Looking to get a semi auto if and when I get back to work. I was wondering what the Scar 17 was going for price wise these days?? I know the price tag is steep and it might make me order a new Scout Squad. Why I like the Scar17 so much is its reliability, low recoil and accuracy. I wish it had an 18 inch barrel but 16 is good enough. I own an AR15 and AK74 that have similar ballistics. The Scar 17 is a rifle that I want. $2,800 for one may be overpriced for me. I got time to save up for it though.

Feedback Score
    Is it worth it? What do you intend to do with it? What gap does it fill in your arsenal?

What will you have to do without to get said rifle? Will this purchase interrupt your training schedule?

Myself, the recce rifle does what I need it to out to 600 for everything except medium game and up. It's also cheaper to shoot and I find I shoot this configuration for 99% of my shooting. So if you're in the same boat, it pays to have your money tied up in what you use the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Is it worth it? What do you intend to do with it? What gap does it fill in your arsenal?

What will you have to do without to get said rifle? Will this purchase interrupt your training schedule?

Myself, the recce rifle does what I need it to out to 600 for everything except medium game and up. It's also cheaper to shoot and I find I shoot this configuration for 99% of my shooting. So if you're in the same boat, it pays to have your money tied up in what you use the most.

Pretty sound advice honestly. The SCAR 17 is an absolutely amazing semi auto .308. If that's what you are wanting, it's one of the best on the market. The financial investment is steep though, so are parts, mags, etc, so you really have to decide if the investment is worth it for you.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've owned one for a while...yep worth it. Dead nuts reliable, balanced, light weight, soft recoiling, decent accuracy. No regrets.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    I had two of them, fully outfitted. I did not care for them. The reason, the rear trunnion uses machine screws held in with locktight. Now if you run without swapping the horrible foot stock- then they should work well because FN stipulates that you have to use a polymer hinge mount for the stock in order to dampen recoil. Run them with an aftermarket AR style stock assembly made of aluminum then you might have problems. A guy on the FN Forum had his rear screws walk out while running such a set up while suppressed and then that damaged the receiver. I went back to FN 50.63 rifles personally. They weigh about the same, however they are a proven design and have a true adjustable gas system. Plus with advent in technology, you can mount forward rails and optic mounts. If you can afford, get a real steel FN FAL.

7n6

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As to whether the SCAR17 is the 308 you should go with, that’s impossible for a forum to decide for an individual. Every 308 offering has its own unique merits and detractions. The individual is best served by determining his desired “needs” and making a decision based on what best suits those needs. The SCAR is a great battle rifle that is sufficiently accurate, reliable. It is not without its detractions but only the individual can decide if the merits outweigh the detractions. I personally find the detractions to be minor and would not hesitate to own a SCAR17.

In the 308 category, I would (and did) consider the following:
    - SCAR17
    - LMT MWS with 16” LW chrome lined barrel
    - KAC SR25 ACC
    - Daniel Defense DD5

Other contenders include the IWI Galil ACE 308, a HK roller delay (factory HK or a PTR), and a properly spec’d/built FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post

All sound points. I do still feel that a 308, 6.5 creedmor, or 260 rem has merit for 600-1k IF that’s something one identifies as a need/want in their personal armory. I personally enjoy shooting 308 on steel and like the enhanced capability of 308 over 5.56.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-18-17 at 09:32.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    I have 2 .308's but there bolt action guns. Looking to get a semi auto if and when I get back to work. I was wondering what the Scar 17 was going for price wise these days?? I know the price tag is steep and it might make me order a new Scout Squad. Why I like the Scar17 so much is its reliability, low recoil and accuracy. I wish it had an 18 inch barrel but 16 is good enough. I own an AR15 and AK74 that have similar ballistics. The Scar 17 is a rifle that I want. $2,800 for one may be overpriced for me. I got time to save up for it though.
    Don't expect the low recoil part to be true. In such a light 762 rifle, regardless of what people say, physics says otherwise. Nearly any other, heavier 762 will recoil less. I own one, I like it, but there are a lot of good rifles out there in that price range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Don't expect the low recoil part to be true. In such a light 762 rifle, regardless of what people say, physics says otherwise. Nearly any other, heavier 762 will recoil less. I own one, I like it, but there are a lot of good rifles out there in that price range.
    I think the low recoil argument for the 17 has more to do with the PWS brake on that thing.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I think the low recoil argument for the 17 has more to do with the PWS brake on that thing.
    Agreed. I actually find the 17 to have somewhat stout recoil without the PWS brake.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Regardless of felt recoil, the system has a reputation of killing optics. Remember, you'll need to spend probably $1500+ to get something that will hold up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast