Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the FN SCAR 17 worth it??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    As to whether the SCAR17 is the 308 you should go with, that’s impossible for a forum to decide for an individual. Every 308 offering has its own unique merits and detractions. The individual is best served by determining his desired “needs” and making a decision based on what best suits those needs. The SCAR is a great battle rifle that is sufficiently accurate, reliable. It is not without its detractions but only the individual can decide if the merits outweigh the detractions. I personally find the detractions to be minor and would not hesitate to own a SCAR17.

In the 308 category, I would (and did) consider the following:
    - SCAR17
    - LMT MWS with 16” LW chrome lined barrel
    - KAC SR25 ACC
    - Daniel Defense DD5

Other contenders include the IWI Galil ACE 308, a HK roller delay (factory HK or a PTR), and a properly spec’d/built FAL.

All sound points. I do still feel that a 308, 6.5 creedmor, or 260 rem has merit for 600-1k IF that’s something one identifies as a need/want in their personal armory. I personally enjoy shooting 308 on steel and like the enhanced capability of 308 over 5.56.
    Well I like the terminal ballistics of the .308 a lot better. I could buy another AK or AR if I can't afford the Scar17 in a year or 2. Maybe a scout squad will be good enough for me. I have yet to see a scout squad let alone shoot one. Same said about the Scar17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Well I like the terminal ballistics of the .308 a lot better. I could buy another AK or AR if I can't afford the Scar17 in a year or 2. Maybe a scout squad will be good enough for me. I have yet to see a scout squad let alone shoot one. Same said about the Scar17.
    What are you shooting that you need "terminal ballistics". "Better" terminals is very much ambiguous as that is bullet depended the more so than cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Regardless of felt recoil, the system has a reputation of killing optics. Remember, you'll need to spend probably $1500+ to get something that will hold up.

It kills low grade optics. Stick with high end optics and you’ll be fine.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Please don’t take offense to this, you’re all over the map here. Which leads me to believe that you have not defined your needs/wants. The m1a is a completely different animal than the SCAR. Define your needs, compare your options, decide what Best fits your needs and is in your budget. And don’t forget to budget for glass.

Feedback Score
    Please don’t take offense to this, you’re all over the map here. Which leads me to believe that you have not defined your needs/wants. The m1a is a completely different animal than the SCAR. Define your needs, compare your options, decide what Best fits your needs and is in your budget. And don’t forget to budget for glass.
    I never fired a semi auto .308 just my 2 bolt action .308's. I brought up the M1A thinking that the Scar 17 would be out of my price range. I like my Colt AR15 and AK74 but because of the limited availability of the 5.45 round I have thought about getting another semi auto thats not in 5.45. Maybe I'll stay with the AR platform after all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never fired a semi auto .308 just my 2 bolt action .308's. I brought up the M1A thinking that the Scar 17 would be out of my price range. I like my Colt AR15 and AK74 but because of the limited availability of the 5.45 round I have thought about getting another semi auto thats not in 5.45. Maybe I'll stay with the AR platform after all.
    I suggest you shoot a few different options and determine what suits you. I would recommend the SCAR17, DD5, LMT mws with LW barrel, Galil ACE.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-18-17 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    It kills low grade optics. Stick with high end optics and you’ll be fine.
    Thanks for reiterating my statement. It cannot be stressed enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Thanks for reiterating my statement. It cannot be stressed enough.

I personally don’t buy low end optics. I would rather shoot irons than buy a low end optic. Buy once cry once and all that. Spend $3k on a top tier rifle then cheap out on optics? No way. Shoot irons, save your money, and buy a quality optic.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-18-17 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    I personally don’t buy low end optics. I would rather shoot irons than buy a low end optic. Buy once cry once and all that. Spend $3k on a top tier rifle then cheap out on optics? No way. Shoot irons, save your money, and buy a quality optic.
    I got Holosun's on both my AR15 and AK74. The one on my AK has been flawless for 9 years or so. The one on my AR15 is only 4 months old. Its the 503C and its glass and reticle are very good. Keeping my fingers crossed on how long they will last. Its a $239 optic but I got the 2nd one for $149. It has a circle red dot and runs on no batteries in the sun as it is solar powered. I'm in the poor house which is why I recently bought the 2nd Holosun 503c. The .308 is 3x's the mass so its gonna make bigger holes at any range I would think. I haven't seen the DD5. I thought that was a 5.56 rifle. I know Daniel Defense is now making .308 rifle's.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 11-18-17 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I think the low recoil argument for the 17 has more to do with the PWS brake on that thing.
    Mine recoils a considerable amount even with that obnoxious and loud PWS brake installed. Maybe its the impulse, I don't know, but I own more than a few 762 rifles and the SCAR is the heaviest recoiling and the lightest weight. (Not that 762 is all that bad actually.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast