Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the FN SCAR 17 worth it??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Mine recoils a considerable amount even with that obnoxious and loud PWS brake installed. Maybe its the impulse, I don't know, but I own more than a few 762 rifles and the SCAR is the heaviest recoiling and the lightest weight. (Not that 762 is all that bad actually.)
    Close Quarters Combat say up to 150 yards is why I wanted the Scar 17. In YouTube video's the low recoil is apparent compared to other .308's. Maybe the POF brake is why the recoil is so tame. I like that the .308 has 3 Time's the mass of the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Close Quarters Combat say up to 150 yards is why I wanted the Scar 17. In YouTube video's the low recoil is apparent compared to other .308's. Maybe the POF brake is why the recoil is so tame. I like that the .308 has 3 Time's the mass of the 5.56.
    Up to 150 yards what?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Up to 150 yards what?
    That was a misquote. I think the shtf will be an apocalyptic scenario if I need to make a 150 yard shot. I meant 5 to 50 yards. Still the .308 causes more damage to a person or a deer if I gotta hunt for survival needs. I don't like the unreliability with AR10's. I have never picked up an M1A at a gun shop so I wouldn't rule that gun out. The FN Scar 17 just is better except for its price tag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is one 308 I do not have in my collection. I have an SR 25 and M1A, I have seriously been debating on picking up a SCAR. I would like to get my hands on one locally to shoot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am quite happy with mine. I have considered a second.

I use it as a woods/HD gun in an area over run with black bear, moose to some extent but mostly for bears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I am quite happy with mine. I have considered a second.

I use it as a woods/HD gun in an area over run with black bear, moose to some extent but mostly for bears.
    Thats the kinda of place I live. A lot of wild life, peace and quiet. I'm in the city now but don't plan on staying in it. If I did stay in the city a semi auto .308 wouldn't make sense. I'm not far from the pocono's though.

Feedback Score
    Lots of ballistics testing shows that the 7.62 has SMALLER permanent and temporary wound channels at close range than 5.56 mm when using ball ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Lots of ballistics testing shows that the 7.62 has SMALLER permanent and temporary wound channels at close range than 5.56 mm when using ball ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was meaning soft point ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    That was a misquote. I think the shtf will be an apocalyptic scenario if I need to make a 150 yard shot. I meant 5 to 50 yards. Still the .308 causes more damage to a person or a deer if I gotta hunt for survival needs. I don't like the unreliability with AR10's. I have never picked up an M1A at a gun shop so I wouldn't rule that gun out. The FN Scar 17 just is better except for its price tag.
    Good .308 ARs are highly reliable. The LMT MWS for example. Also much more parts in common with an AR-15 for ease of upgrades or replacements.

Deer hunting is not a realistic survival strategy unless you're in an area with thousands of deer and no humans. I don't know many areas like that. Deer thrive on row crops and backyard gardens. In real wilderness they are much fewer.

Even if that were a real concern, good ammo in 5.56 is going to beat ball ammo in .308.

Someone hoping to survive by hunting in TEOTWAKI is probably going to starve. But focusing on hunting squirrels and rabbits would keep you alive longer.

The M1A is kinda cool, but was practically an antique on the day it was introduced. It's also very long and somewhat heavy.

I'll be blunt: you have not stated any particular reason you need a SCAR 17, or any .308 semiauto for that matter, or have a use for either one. If you simply want one that's fine, and great, go get one because you want it. I like collecting too, I have several rifles that are merely curiosities for me, and have no pretext of hunting or self-defense use. But if you think you have an unmet need, keep working to identify what it really is, then pick something to fit it directly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have buddies with both the SCAR H and the SCAR Light. I can't stand either of them. The Heavy is a recoil monster. And any gun that breaks optics is a failure from the get go. Head back to the drawing board and figure it out. I'm not a fan of 7.62 gas guns at all. But the LMT MWS has proven to be a reliable and tough gun. It's heavy, but it takes a beating.

Short of needing to put volumes of fire into vehicles... I don't see the value in a 7.62 gas gun. That's probably a debate for another thread however.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast