Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is the FN SCAR 17 worth it??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Good .308 ARs are highly reliable. The LMT MWS for example. Also much more parts in common with an AR-15 for ease of upgrades or replacements.

Deer hunting is not a realistic survival strategy unless you're in an area with thousands of deer and no humans. I don't know many areas like that. Deer thrive on row crops and backyard gardens. In real wilderness they are much fewer.

Even if that were a real concern, good ammo in 5.56 is going to beat ball ammo in .308.

Someone hoping to survive by hunting in TEOTWAKI is probably going to starve. But focusing on hunting squirrels and rabbits would keep you alive longer.

The M1A is kinda cool, but was practically an antique on the day it was introduced. It's also very long and somewhat heavy.

I'll be blunt: you have not stated any particular reason you need a SCAR 17, or any .308 semiauto for that matter, or have a use for either one. If you simply want one that's fine, and great, go get one because you want it. I like collecting too, I have several rifles that are merely curiosities for me, and have no pretext of hunting or self-defense use. But if you think you have an unmet need, keep working to identify what it really is, then pick something to fit it directly.
    Well I kind of just like the bigger round but admit I'm probably never gonna hunt anything. I have 2 bolt action .308's and was thinking of replacing them both with a semi auto .308. If I move into bear country (the Poconos) I'll be more likely to get a semi auto .308. I'm not a collector. I just like a few different calibers. I might not need it but Id rather have one.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Good .308 ARs are highly reliable. The LMT MWS for example. Also much more parts in common with an AR-15 for ease of upgrades or replacements.

Deer hunting is not a realistic survival strategy unless you're in an area with thousands of deer and no humans. I don't know many areas like that. Deer thrive on row crops and backyard gardens. In real wilderness they are much fewer.

Even if that were a real concern, good ammo in 5.56 is going to beat ball ammo in .308.

Someone hoping to survive by hunting in TEOTWAKI is probably going to starve. But focusing on hunting squirrels and rabbits would keep you alive longer.

The M1A is kinda cool, but was practically an antique on the day it was introduced. It's also very long and somewhat heavy.

I'll be blunt: you have not stated any particular reason you need a SCAR 17, or any .308 semiauto for that matter, or have a use for either one. If you simply want one that's fine, and great, go get one because you want it. I like collecting too, I have several rifles that are merely curiosities for me, and have no pretext of hunting or self-defense use. But if you think you have an unmet need, keep working to identify what it really is, then pick something to fit it directly.
    All of the above is great advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have buddies with both the SCAR H and the SCAR Light. I can't stand either of them. The Heavy is a recoil monster. And any gun that breaks optics is a failure from the get go. Head back to the drawing board and figure it out. I'm not a fan of 7.62 gas guns at all. But the LMT MWS has proven to be a reliable and tough gun. It's heavy, but it takes a beating.

Short of needing to put volumes of fire into vehicles... I don't see the value in a 7.62 gas gun. That's probably a debate for another thread however.
    Yeah I forgot about the LMT MWS. I heard good reviews on that particular gun. Anything that LMT makes is expensive.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Yeah I forgot about the LMT MWS. I heard good reviews on that particular gun. Anything that LMT makes is expensive.
    Yes, but... a LMT MWS costs about the same as a SCAR 17, to start with. It doesn't break optics so you can use anything decent, not only the $1500+ bombproof optics. Magazines cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much as SCAR magazines. Want a trigger swap? $200 vs. $400. New rear stock? $50-100 vs. ???

The MWS is typically an accurate rifle. However, all semiauto .308 rifles can be more difficult to shoot accurately than good bolt-action rifles, due to a combination of their ergonomics, much longer lock time in the trigger mechanism, and possibly other factors. In other words, someone who can shoot 1 MOA with a good bolt gun can't always do that with a semiauto, even if the semiauto has the same mechanical accuracy when put in a Ransom Rest.

Anyway, if you want to spend $3k in a really nice .308, the MWS is another good option. You could also spend the money on some really good training with your bolt action rifles, or 2-3 seasons of F-Class competition, or a top quality AR-15, a case of ammo AND a training class. Etc.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    CQB to 200 meters, black bear protection and deer hunting I would look at .300 Blackout, new upper, optic and some good ammo and you are set. While 7.62 x 51 can work for CQB with some rifles/optics (such as SR25 ACC and MK8 1-8) and extend range out to 600 meters and more it is really overkill up close.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-20-17 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an mws and scar and the scar is a nice rifle, I enjoy shooting long range so I naturally gravitate towards the 6.5 mws.

Cool gun, would never sell it, just fn doesn't quite of the support of an the AR which is expected.

Give me a SS, 20 inch, 6.5 barrel for around 600 dollars with standard 30 call threads with a proper shoulder for mounting a can, and I would be all over that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I really enjoy my SCARs, especially the 17.

It is a quick recoiling rifle, but not heavy recoiling rifle - to me anyways.

It’s certainly not for everyone - but I wanted a lightweight 308 semi that suppressed easily, and at the time, it was the only game in town in the $3K range.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234