Thread: 5.56 NATO Ackley???

Feedback Score

5.56 NATO Ackley???

Some coworkers and I were discussing AR's and the topic of the now hotshot .22 cartridges came up (.22 Nosler/.224 Valkyrie). One of the guys had an idea of building an AR upper, chambering it in 5.56NATO but blowing the shoulders 40 degrees a la Ackley. Get a couple grains more case capacity, the ability to roll up to 62,000psi, still be able to shoot .223/5.56 and no need for 6.8SPC mags.

I'm seriously considering this for a 24" varminter/PRS build. You'd still be shooting 80 and 90 grain bullets single shot but I can see a 77 grain TMK loaded to mag length being a real screamer.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    On average you get about 1% more velocity for every 4% more powder. The .223AI has about 6% more powder capacity than standard. That is 30fps- 50fps more velocity. it makes no sense to do one now that the 2 factory offerings you mentioned are available. That is unless you just want one, of course...which I am in very much support of. I have a couple wildcats and they are all a labor of love, and factory offerings could have done the exact same thing...I just like them.

I don't understand the mag compatability issue, though. I have 5-6 mags I keep with each rifle and then have back ups. I don't see the problem of having a few 6.8 mags attached to a certain rifle. It sounds like it would be a specialty use item anyway

advntrjnky